• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Computer Crimes / FBI ?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Spark

Previously I posted about a detective wanting to talk to me about a harassment case. I was advised NOT to talk to him, and I chose NOT to. I went to see him, and he refused to allow a witness, so I refused to talk to him.

On the phone, he said it was a harassment case. When I refused to talk to him, he said he would contact the FBI.... and asked if I knew what this was about. I said no (I honestly wasn't sure) and he said it was a computer related crime. As I was walking away he said "have a good day... I'll contact the FBI for you".

Scare tactic??

It's regarding changing someone's password on Ebay, or listing someone as a jerk on the web, or guessing someone's ISP password and adding an insulting poem to his web page (I didn't do that, but I know who did).

I seriously doubt the FBI will care about John Doe in Hicksville, Louisiana.

Any thoughts.... advice???

T

Tracey

Of course it's a scare tactic. However, why are you protecting John Doe in LA? Is he your cousin? If the cops get a warrant, they will sieze your computer & have their forensic techs go through it. After about 2 years, you'll get it back completely ruined. You might be able to salvage the modem.

Have an attorney tell the cop that when you have all the information on which they're considering charges, you will talk to them. Then throw Johnny to the wolves.

Also, while they're searching your computer, they're gonna read every piece of email & file you have on there. Can any of it incriminate you? Protect yourself -- look for a program that will really delete your files -- defragment the harddrive, then write all the unused bits to 0, then to 1, then back to 0. No one can recover a file erased that way.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">