• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

concealed fire arm/failer to appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alds

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I reside in another state. A friend of mine was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon in the city of Cincinnati 10 years ago at the age of 19. He went to his first court appearance but it was pushed. He went to the second one which was also pushed. He did not appear at the third one. He obviously made a huge mistake. He has changed his life but has this over his head. Is this a misdemeanor crime or a felony? Does he face jail time? What is the possible fine? What does he need to do to take care of it? Your information is much appreciated.

JETX

"Is this a misdemeanor crime or a felony?"
*** It is likely a misdemeanor, but we would require the specific charge to answer accurately.

"Does he face jail time?"
*** Every criminal charge has a penalty of confinement.... even misdemeanors. Whether it would apply in this case would depend on the facts and the sentence set by the court.

"What is the possible fine?"
*** Again, that would require notice of the specific charge.

"What does he need to do to take care of it?"
*** I would suggest you contact a local attorney to contact the DA's office on your behalf and negotiate turning yourself in.

Your post said this happened about 10 years ago, so the applicable Ohio statute would probably be:
" 2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons. -- Prior to 7-1-96
(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on his person or concealed ready at hand, any deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance.
<snip>
(D) Whoever violates this section is guilty of carrying concealed weapons, a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the offender previously has been convicted of a violation of this section or of any offense of violence, if the weapon involved is a firearm and the violation of this section is committed at premises for which a D permit has been issued under Chapter 4303. of the Revised Code, if the weapon involved is a firearm which is either loaded or for which the offender has ammunition ready at hand, or if the weapon involved is dangerous ordnance, then carrying concealed weapons is a felony of the third degree. If the offense is committed aboard an aircraft, or with purpose to carry a concealed weapon aboard an aircraft, regardless of the weapon involved, carrying concealed weapons is a felony of the second degree."
The full statute can be found at:
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/oh/lpExt.dll/PORC/137cb/13e09/13e34?fn=document-frame.htm&f=templates&2.0

A

alds

Thank you Somnambulist

Thank you for posting the information. I also sent emails to attorneys in Ohio. One reply said it was no longer an offense to have a ccw, (which made no sense to me), then when I sent an email saying there was not permit to have the gun, she wrote back it was a felony with jail time time 6-18 mos. I'm just not clear what he is facing. He hasn't dealt with this for 10 years. I fear he will be put away. He has really tried to change his life but it's inevitable you pay the piper in the end. I have copied what you sent and will try to talk with him to do the right thing. I understand it's hard to get all the facts about what he will be facing unless there is a case to look at that hold all the facts. I don't know if the whole story has been told me.

Thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">