• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concealed weapon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dupman

I'm originally from louisiana, but just recently returned, after 20 years in the Army. While away, I had heard Louisiana had included your personal vehicle as an extension of your home, therefore allowing you to carry a weapon without a permit. However after searching numerous databases, I haven't been able to find anything that would verify this. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dupman

J

JasonRT

dupman,

You may have the weapon in your car without a permit in the state of Louisiana. But why not just get a permit so that you may carry everywhere?

The fee for you would only be $150.00 and Louisiana is a shall-issue state which means that unless you are disqualified (i.e. you are a convicted felon) the state has no discretion and MUST issue you the permit.

[email protected]

R

RedneckRoy

I have been living in Louisiana my whole life and I ain't never heard of no law saying you can carry a loaded weapon in your car. You got that law #, I'd sure enough would like to read it.

W

weekendnotary

The gun would still have to be registered. La. R.S. 40:1783. The theory is that you do not need a *concealed weapon permit* if it is in your car because the concealed weapon crime only applies to concealing weapons on your person. See La. R.S. 14:95. Also, there is an Attorney General's opinion (from the '30s) that interprets 14:95 that way. If you have the Louisiana Revised Statutes Annotated, it'll list the opinion number and date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">