• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concealed weapons rights reinstated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

casquarters

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Back when I was 17, I was convicted of 1st degree Robbery with a weapon. I served 3 years in a juvenile institution. I was released in 1998. I haven't had any felonies since. I would like to get my concealed weapons permit but do not want to spend the 230 dollar filing fee if I have no chance to get my rights reinstated. I am wondering if a juvenile felony is the same as an adult felony and if so, since it was with a gun, do I still have a shot to get my rights back? Thanks

xylene

Ummmmmmmmmm

If you can't afford a filing fee.

You can't afford the process to deal with this right now.

Get a job, get some cash, get a lawyer.

davidmcbeth3

Reading Title 18, US CODE, Chapter 44 Section 921 I do not see an exception for juvi offenses.

So you may have have to have your civil rights restored or request the records to be expunged (I cannot find any reference to if WA automatically expunges the record of juvi convictions -- if its automatic then you can own & carry in all likelihood -- but I highly doubt its automatic) prior to legally purchasing a gun or getting a permit to carry.

The question that needs to be answered, I think, is contained within Sec. 921's paragraph 20 .. "crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.."

So if your crime would have or could have been 1 yr of incarceration then you likely cannot own a gun, let alone carry. Unless you met the exemptions noted: conviction set aside, expunged etc. So I think your answer lies within the answer to the question of if you have met the exemptions noted in the US Code.

Right now, I don't have enough information. And if you were to move forward and get a permit tomorrow then your permit would be OK (because the government issued it) but your possession of a handgun/gun may still be prosecutable.

And I have seen cases where a guy was arrested for owning even though he went through a dealer and the dealer made a mistake .. and convicted and upheld ..

So if you own a gun, I cannot say that you are not violating the law.

I think you will be able to legally own and carry in WA ... if you cross your T's an dot your I's.

Maybe this WA code section applies:

RCW 13.50.050: Records relating to commission of juvenile offenses ? Maintenance of, access to, and destruction ? Release of information to schools.

Last edited:

ki23

Are you sure you were convicted? Not sure about your state, but in many states if a juvenile goes to juvenile court the result is an adjudication which is clearly not a conviction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">