• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflicting Advice from Authorities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

treeboss

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I have been pursuing a former employee/ex-fiance for over two months. He was representing my company (he is NOT on the documentation) and writing service orders, taking the deposits (even though some were made out to my company) and cashing the checks so he could maintain his growing drug habit.
In August, I put him out, paid first, last & security on and furnished an apartment for him. He already had a Failure to Appear warrant outstanding by the end of August (he "gave" my car to his dealer to use for the evening and into the next day and convinced me it was stolen, so I pressed charges, then he didn't show up for court so the case was dismissed!)
Now I have on file with the police, 6 checks totalling over $2,000 (with more coming), the apartment and all the contents have been cleared out , including the $2000 living room set, $600 TV, VCR, small appliances, etc. (the landlord says it was this person who took it all, although I am doubtful the landlord didn't just confiscate it all, not knowing it all belonged to me).
The State Police tell me to file individual warrants for each additional check I receive, the Commissioner is getting tired of seeing me and the Sherriff's offices (two counties involved) tell me I'm pretty much "on my own" to bring this guy in, since he's no longer at the old address...I have placed ads in the paper absolving my company of any further obligations for these work orders, I have asked publicly, for any copies of checks that may still be out there (cancelled)...I am not trying to make this a full time job but I want this to stop before the tally grows any higher (the company performed all the work related to the stolen deposits, for only the balance due (50%).
Other than sit and wait for him to appear, is there anything else I should be doing? What kind of time is he looking at if he does get caught? I know there's little chance of restitution but, if he's off the street, at least it will stop! He also "borrowed" money from just about every former customer (friends and strangers alike just handed this man money, because they "trusted him" and expected ME to pay them back!)...to the tune of several more thousand dollars!
Can anyone offer some input here? I'm ready to move on with this and let the justice system take over but, I'm afraid all my efforts will just die if I have missed something or neglect to do something I am supposed to!:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">