• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused first time arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jkdood

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I posted this at a referral site, so am pasting it here verbatim. I don't even know what will happen at the court appearance, presumably its to make a plea? Will a PD be enough to possibly get some reduced or moderated plea if such a thing is at all possible? Expert-ish advice appreciated; i am a 51 year old ignoramus who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was stupid and now face having a record (at the least) for theft of $150 worth of sandbags and rsp (recvg stolen property) arghhhh! serious replies appreciated thanks:

wrong place wrong time during theft, 1st arrest
Case description 51 years squeaky clean, never arrested or in trouble. Helped a young friend load tattered sandbags (28) from toysr-us lighted parking lot pile, at nite, into his truck, believing his story that his friend who works there said they are "leftover" (they weren't.) As we left, mall security pursued the truck, my friend ran red light in attempt to elude, stopped by 7 cop cars. Sandbags were for his sister's eroded beach yard (from recent hurricane.) 30 hours holding cell nightmare in district 15, no phone calls or such allowed, finally released ror. (cc3921 and cc3925 M2 1 count.) Friend shared truck with mother of his child, had keys etc; but due to earlier domestic squabble she reported it stolen when he took it (titled in her mom's name.) Friend currently charged with auto theft (also retail theft 3929 for sandbags) but girfriend intends to accompany him to court to clear it up (they have reconciled.) I am just charged with sandbag theft and Rsp. I would like to if possible avoid a record so am thinking any possibility requires an attorney. Sandbags were returned (by me under police monitoring) to original location in toysr-us parking lot, that same nite.

S

sdstrooper

Unless your "friend" tells the cops you didn't know about it and you were deceived into thinking that he had permission to take it, you're screwed. There is a saying that goes "Ignorance is not an excuse to break the law". A lawyer could definitelly help in your situation, but its up to you.

B

BB_Wolfe

You're 51 years old pal.

Either you rode the short bus to school when you were younger, or you're a HUGE idiot for thinking we'd buy your lame story.

Your story reeks of guilt. Be a man and cop to it.

calatty

A PD is an attorney and can work out a plea bargain just like any other attorney. Whether there is a plea offer and to what crime is up to the prosecutor. Plea bargains usually involve pleading guilty to a lesser crime to spare the state the expense of a trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">