• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consequences of marrying a felon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inquiringmind96

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I recently began dating a man and found out that he is on probation for a currency transaction reporting violation as a result of property flipping between the buyer and seller (he owned the mortgage brokerage firm). There was no victim in his case, he did not serve any time in prison, but paid a fine and subsequently closed the business. He is and will continue to be self-employed.

What are the consequences (if any) to me if this relationship were to progress and we would get married? What are the consequences to him? What could we not be able to do as a couple? In business? Buying a home? Adopting a child? Would I have a criminal record for marrying a felon?

I have to ask these questions, even though it's early in the relationship but we've reached a crucial juncture. It's very painful as one would imagine, so I'd appreciate no judgment or snide comments from anyone who responds. I never thought I'd be in this sort of situation myself, but here I am and I want to do the right thing.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">