• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consequences of minor and adult dating?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crashall

I live in Louisiana. I was involved with a minor and I am of legal age. To be specific, I am 22, she is 14. We didn't have any sexual relations. We have only met twice. (I know it was a mistake and I admit that now). After the second meeting, her father found out and threatened to call the cops. Another thing, the second meeting was planned. What I mean by that is I drove an hour and half to see her, and she told her parents that she was going to a soccer game. But instead of a soccer game, we met and went out. He found out about this because of a letter she had written to me but didn't get a chance to mail it. About three weeks later, he caught her online chatting with me. He called the police and they turned the matter over to juvenile. This all happened this past Sunday. She told me that someone should be coming by my place to get a statement. Today is Wednesday and no one has showed up. Is there anything that he can actually do? How much trouble am I in? I have broken all contact with her since this started. Only word I've received from her are two emails from exlaining to me what he did. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have even known he called the police. Someone please contact me with legitimate advice.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Here is a law I found. Check with a criminal defense attorney in your state about definitions of those crimes listed, including any case law similar to your circumtance.

Art. 571.1. Time limitation for certain sex offenses
The time within which to institute prosecution of the following sex offenses: forcible rape (R.S. 14:42.1), sexual battery (R.S. 14:43.1), aggravated sexual battery (R.S. 14:43.2), oral sexual battery (R.S. 14:43.3), aggravated oral sexual battery (R.S. 14:43.4), carnal knowledge of a juvenile (R.S. 14:80), indecent behavior with juveniles (R.S. 14:81), molestation of a juvenile (R.S. 14:81.2), crime against nature (R.S. 14:89), or aggravated crime against nature (R.S. 14:89.1), which involves a victim under seventeen years of age, regardless of whether the crime involves force, serious physical injury, death, or is punishable by imprisonment at hard labor shall be ten years. This ten-year period begins to run when the victim attains the age of seventeen.

Acts 1993, No. 592,§ 1, eff. June 15, 1993.

T

Tracey

The only crimes I found that might apply were:

14.285 improper telephone communications (graphic description of sex when you should have known the listener was under 18)

14-91.11 dissemination of obscene materials to a minor (the materials have to be tangible, so email may not count)

14-43.1 touching the genitals of a person under 15

If you didn't touch her, you should be OK. However, talk to a defense lawyer BEFORE talking to police. There may be other crimes my brief search didn't discover.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">