• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conspiracy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brnsbbtt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

My freind was recently charged with criminal conspiracy and unlawful conveyance to bring articles into or out of jail.

His phone calls were recorded and listened to and he asked someone to drop off tabacco and some sleeping pills outside of the jail as he was on work detail. After sleeping on the idea he called the next morning and called it off stating that he was not going to take anything into the jail and risk being caught. The other person had already dropped the items and the jailers picked it up. He has since been released from jail and went to court on the two charges. The prosecutor had already dropped the conveyance charge but told my freind he could not drop the conspiracy charge. The other person has never been charged. Can you just charge one person with conspiracy and not the other?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Can you just charge one person with conspiracy and not the other?
No, I can't. But a prosecutor can do whatever they want. There is no requirement to charge anyone.

By the way, posting the same thing in multiple places will not get you an answer any faster - all it does is annoy people. This is a duplicate thread.

Brnsbbtt

So the prosecuter can just charge the one person with conspiracy? How do they make that stick? Doesn't it take more than two to conspire?

CdwJava

So the prosecuter can just charge the one person with conspiracy? How do they make that stick? Doesn't it take more than two to conspire?
Sure. But they do not have to CHARGE the other party to do that. Heck, the other person might testify against his pal.

davew128

BTW your friend is an idiot. It's common knowledge that corrections officers actively listen to outgoing inmate phone calls in every facility I have ever heard of.

Brnsbbtt

Thank you CdwJava for posting and helping answer my question without having to make snide or rude comments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">