• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Roxie56

What is the name of your state? virginia

My 17-yr-old cousin was in a car accident. She broke her neck. She was charged with reckless driving and driving on a suspended license (for alcohol possession). Alcohol was a factor in this car accident but the police didn't get to her soon enough to do a breathalyzer so she wasn't charged with DUI.

My questions are:
will the police investigate and charge the others in the car with underage drinking? Can they come back and charge her with underage drinking?
Will the police investigate who purchased the beer for these kids?
If I know who purchased the beer and turn him in, what are the charges for distributing to the delinquency of a minor?
Can the parents of these kids sue this guy?

What kind of repercussions are these kids facing?

C

crackerarse

I don't live in virginia and I am not a lawyer but I do know a little about what will happen to an adult for contributing to the delinquency of a minor, an old friend of mine received probation for a year and was fined $1,000. And the police can come back and get the minor for underage drinking, if they can prove it.
They like to wait just long enough so you think they forgot it, but they didn't. Hope that helped.

HomeGuru

Roxie56 said:

My 17-yr-old cousin was in a car accident. She broke her neck. She was charged with reckless driving and driving on a suspended license (for alcohol possession). Alcohol was a factor in this car accident but the police didn't get to her soon enough to do a breathalyzer so she wasn't charged with DUI.

My questions are:
will the police investigate and charge the others in the car with underage drinking? Can they come back and charge her with underage drinking?
If I know who purchased the beer and turn him in, what are the charges for distributing to the delinquency of a minor?

**A: how come you did not ask your parents these same questions?
They are very good questions.

R

Roxie56

I'm confused? Why would I ask my parents these questions?
I'm 32 years old. I'm concerned about my cousin and her friends. FYI - I did ask my dad these questions but he's as baffled as I am. I just need some answers to ease her mind. These are things she was asking me at the hospital.

Thanks,

HomeGuru

Re: Reply

Roxie56 said:
I'm confused? Why would I ask my parents these questions?
I'm 32 years old. I'm concerned about my cousin and her friends. FYI - I did ask my dad these questions but he's as baffled as I am. I just need some answers to ease her mind. These are things she was asking me at the hospital.

Thanks,
**A: what would answering you ease her mind? Tell her to hire a PI attorney.

R

Roxie56

Thanks for the advice HomeGuru.

Does anybody have any idea about any of these questions? I'd like to tell her something more than to just get a lawyer. I can't imagine all the things running through her head. Some answers would help her I think.... She's really worried about her friends.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1. "will the police investigate and charge the others in the car with underage drinking? " Since this is one of the days that my crystal ball is not working, I can't tell you what the police will do.

2. Can they come back and charge her with underage drinking?" They can. As to whether they will or not, see answer to number 1.

3. "Will the police investigate who purchased the beer for these kids? " See answer to number 1.

Are you seeing a pattern here? We have no way of knowing what the police will do. It depends on far too many factors that we are not privy to.

Son of Slam

Roxie56 said:

My questions are:
Can they come back and charge her with underage drinking?
***Yes

*** I really hope so

***The charges for distributing to the delinquency of a minor are the same whether you turn him in or not.

*** Yes, I hope they do.

***Repercussions of the worst kind, no doubt.

C

crackerarse

Unfortunately this is a bad situation for all involved, there is no silver lining on this cloud. The advice given here is usually just people who want to judge you and your story. I suggest that you may want to look elsewhere for fact based answers. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">