• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firsttime5912

Hello everyone. I am an 18 year old male from Ohio, and I was recently charged with Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor. I was pulled over the other night (supposedly for my window tint) and my 17 year old friend had about 20 grams of marijuana and a scale that he decided to hide under the passenger seat of my car. It just so happened that we got pulled over by the K9 Unit, so the car was promptly inspected, the dog went off, and a search was conducted. They found the drugs and the scale and charged my friend with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. My friend admitted to all the charges.

My ticket reads as follows: "Aid, abet, induce, cause, encourage, or contribute to, or act in a way tending to cause a child or ward of Juvenile Court to wit: driving around Joe Schmo w/ marijuana, and drug paraphernalia and knowing about the drugs."

The thing is, not ONCE did I admit to or even suggest that I knew the drugs were present in the vehicle. This is my first offense, and according to my research a First Degree Misdemeanor in Ohio holds up to a 180 day jail sentence and/or a maximum fine of $1,000. I need advice on which way I should plead. Is there anyway I can avoid the expense or hiring a lawyer? The officer told my friend that "no contest" would be the best route, but I'm not really sure if I'd consider him a reliable source. My court date is in six days, any advice between now and then would be GREATLY appreciated.

HomeGuru

Hello everyone. I am an 18 year old male from Ohio, and I was recently charged with Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor. I was pulled over the other night (supposedly for my window tint) and my 17 year old friend had about 20 grams of marijuana and a scale that he decided to hide under the passenger seat of my car. It just so happened that we got pulled over by the K9 Unit, so the car was promptly inspected, the dog went off, and a search was conducted. They found the drugs and the scale and charged my friend with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. My friend admitted to all the charges.

My ticket reads as follows: "Aid, abet, induce, cause, encourage, or contribute to, or act in a way tending to cause a child or ward of Juvenile Court to wit: driving around Joe Schmo w/ marijuana, and drug paraphernalia and knowing about the drugs."

The thing is, not ONCE did I admit to or even suggest that I knew the drugs were present in the vehicle. This is my first offense, and according to my research a First Degree Misdemeanor in Ohio holds up to a 180 day jail sentence and/or a maximum fine of $1,000. I need advice on which way I should plead. Is there anyway I can avoid the expense or hiring a lawyer? The officer told my friend that "no contest" would be the best route, but I'm not really sure if I'd consider him a reliable source. My court date is in six days, any advice between now and then would be GREATLY appreciated.
**A: so can your parents hire an attorney for you.

firsttime5912

I'm sure they could, but I'd rather not get them involved in the whole situation, plus they would make me pay for the attorney anyways.

BOR

You are correct, an M-1 has a MAX 6 months and 1,000.00 fine.

As the owner/driver of the vehicle you are ultimately responsible for the contents, as you have care custody and control of it.

If you plead not guilty you are entitled to a jury trial and a public defender if indigent.

If you can not consult an attorney before hand, plead innocent, and the court may offer, through the Prosecutor, a plea deal??

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So you didn't see this kid whip a scale out from under his shirt and put it under the seat?

firsttime5912

No, I didn't. The scale was in the trunk, the drugs were on his person up until we were pulled over, then he threw them under a bag in the back seat. My hearing is tomorrow... is there any way I could really go to jail for something this outrageous?

Silverplum

No, I didn't. The scale was in the trunk, the drugs were on his person up until we were pulled over, then he threw them under a bag in the back seat. My hearing is tomorrow... is there any way I could really go to jail for something this outrageous?
I have a problem with what you wrote in Post #1, which does not match your current version:

firsttime5912

You're right, I should have made the distinction between the two, didn't bother to reread my original post. In all honesty, the bag was inside the vehicle, the scale was in the trunk in a pair of old gym shoes which the minor claimed were his as well.

Silverplum

You're right, I should have made the distinction between the two, didn't bother to reread my original post. In all honesty, the bag was inside the vehicle, the scale was in the trunk in a pair of old gym shoes which the minor claimed were his as well.
Truth = Truth.

Every day. All the time.

firsttime5912

I'm completely aware of that. Truth is, I go to court in less that 24 hours, and I would feel a lot better about the whole situation if someone could offer some tangible advice for the scenario I have presented.

BOR

I'm completely aware of that. Truth is, I go to court in less that 24 hours, and I would feel a lot better about the whole situation if someone could offer some tangible advice for the scenario I have presented.
You only have 1 defense, and that is IF you had NO knowledge of the contraband. If you plead such, will the trier of fact, be it Judge or Jury, believe you??

Even if you did, it is up to the state to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

If you feel they can, plead not guilty and maybe you can get a plea deal.

Silverplum

You only have 1 defense, and that is IF you had NO knowledge of the contraband. If you plead such, will the trier of fact, be it Judge or Jury, believe you??
That's a really good reason to keep your "story" straight. The "moving scale" is a killer. :rolleyes:

CdwJava

So, it might seem your best bet is to keep your mouth shut, when you go arraignment you ask for appointed counsel because you are indigent, and you plead "not guilty" to give yourself and your new attorney some time to become acquainted.

However, mommy and daddy may well get involved if your state or county requires a means test of some kind to determine if you are truly indigent. if you are a dependent of mom and dad still (such as going to college or still living at home and claimed as a dependent on their taxes) it may well be their income that you have to contend with and not yours.

tonya72756

Go to court and plea not guilty. Unless the prosecutor pulls you aside and offers a good plea bargain. If he does, and you have nay questions, go ahead and plea not guilty. They will offer a court appointed attorney. You will not go to jail at this first court appearance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">