• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contributing to the delinquency of a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Phatballa

Is trying to get someone to run away from home a felony or a misdemeanor? What is the maximum penalty?

Tn and Ga

P

Phatballa

I encouraged someone to run away from home over the phone. I was in georgia at the time, but the person I was talking to was in Tennessee. I'm not positive which would apply.

wtd

Did she actually run away from home (and end up at your home)?

wtd

Last edited:

JETX

Phatballa said:
I encouraged someone to run away from home over the phone. I was in georgia at the time, but the person I was talking to was in Tennessee. I'm not positive which would apply.
Tennessee Code:
37-1-156. Contributing to delinquency - Penalty - Jurisdiction of court.
"(a) Any adult who contributes to or encourages the delinquency or unruly behavior of a child, whether by aiding or abetting or encouraging the child in the commission of an act of delinquency or unruly conduct or by participating as a principal with the child in an act of delinquency, unruly conduct or by aiding the child in concealing an act of delinquency or unruly conduct following its commission, commits a Class A misdemeanor, triable in the circuit or criminal court.
(b) When any juvenile judge shall have reasonable ground to believe that any person is guilty of having contributed to the delinquency or unruly conduct of a child, such judge shall cause the person to be arrested and brought before such judge. In such case, when the defendant pleads not guilty, the juvenile court judge has the power to bind the defendant over to the grand jury or to proceed to hear the case on its merits without the intervention of a jury if the defendant requests the hearing in juvenile court and expressly waives in writing an indictment, presentment, grand jury investigation and jury trial. In the event the defendant enters a plea of guilty, the juvenile court judge has the same power as the circuit or criminal court in making final disposition of the case."

And in the event that you are considering having this juvenile cross state lines to meet you, you are violating FEDERAL (as in real serious) laws.
I strongly suggest you rethink your options in aiding and abetting this juvenile to become 'delinquent'. You can serve some real serious time as an adult (and you will very likely make LOTS of new friends... if you know what I mean). The jail system has a special treatment for prisoners due to actions with juveniles.

P

Phatballa

She did not run away. I'm not saying it is the smartest idea, or that I would do it again. My grilfriends mom is threatning to press charges. I was just wondering what I am potentially facing. When this came up, I was minor, and I will be for the next 28 days. Out of curiousity wtd, why did you underline the she? Yes it was a girl. I'm guessing you looked at my other post.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">