• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conversion Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aegirl_2012

Hi, thank you for reading this:

On Sunday January 18, 2010 I found a Mac Book Pro (laptop) sitting on a table and instead of turning it in to the dorm, I took it in my backpack. The next day two Indiana University Police Officers came to the class I was in and told me to give them the laptop. I did so. They did not arrest me, or take my finger prints or anything like that. The Officer told me to expect a summons in a few weeks. Today I got my summons, for the Monroe Circuit Court (Monroe County, Indiana). The letter reads: Conversion and of this writ make due return. I know by taking the computer, and not turning it in as soon as I found it was a crime, and I am fully aware of what I did. My question is I am a sophomore at Indiana University and I was wondering would I be able to be in the Pre-Trial Diversion program, this is my first offense.

Thank you so much for reading this. What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

FlyingRon

Conversion is a felony. Most Indiana jurisdictions will not off diversion for a felony. Monroe County seems even less inclined to offer diversions than most. You can inquire in the county. You do HOWEVER need a lawyer. This is SERIOUS.

aegirl_2012

I am wondering, whats the worse that can happen. On my schools website it says conversion is a Class A misdemeanor, I dont know if this would help? How much are the cost and fees alos, if anyone knows? Thank you.

FlyingRon

Just exactly what are you charged with. Most conversions are felonies.
Misdemenaor or Felony. You could go to JAIL. A class A misd. is worth a year in the slammer. You need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">