• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convicted Felon and firearms possesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

djiss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

what if:

A person who has a felony drug possesion charges and someone breaks into their house and they shoot them and either kill or wound them. Would that person still be charged with 'convicted Felon in possession of a firearm'? And let's say maybe the gun belongs to the persons wife, or maybe it doesn't.

Last edited:

djiss

No. Not currently involved in this situation.

My main concern is how is someone who has felonies supposed to properly protect their family from a intruder with a gun.

Mass_Shyster

Long story short - person you described is a felon in possession of a firearm so can be charged as such.

I suggest good locks and bars on the windows if you're really concerned about armed intruders.

Moving to a better neighborhood would work too.

djiss

Long story short - person you described is a felon in possession of a firearm so can be charged as such.

I suggest good locks and bars on the windows if you're really concerned about armed intruders.

Moving to a better neighborhood would work too.
Thx for the input, but I could move into a $100M house with bars and alarms in the best neighborhood in America and someone can still break in and try to harm me or my family.

I have read that felons can posses a firearm ONLY INSIDE THE HOME FOR HOME PROTECTION after a certain amount of years. I have also read that it's up to the charging officer and DA if they want to charge you with 'possesion of a firearm by a felon'. This is what I am looking for clarity on.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Are you planning on becoming a felon and worried about this? We don't DO hypotheticals. :rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ohhh, you're the guy that is worried about the feds catching up with you for illegal downloads...gotcha! :rolleyes:

CdwJava

Having dealt with this very situation (minus the actual shooting of the burglar) I can tell you that out here the felon in possession WILL be charged. He or she may not face the most serious consequences, but he or she will almost certainly be charged with a crime for possessing the firearm. I suspect a similar reality exists where you are.

Oh, and there is no exception for a felon to have a firearm for home defense. None.

Mass_Shyster

Oh, and there is no exception for a felon to have a firearm for home defense. None.
There is an argument that use of a firearm for home defense is now a fundamental right under Heller/McDonald.

Since other fundamental rights have been stripped from convicted felons (voting), I don't agree with this argument.

Carl, have you dealt with this situation since McDonald?

Philxxxx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

what if:

A person who has 3 felony drug possesion charges and someone breaks into their house and they shoot them and either kill or wound them. Would that person still be charged with 'convicted Felon in possession of a firearm'? And let's say maybe the gun belongs to the persons wife, or maybe it doesn't.
Why not? He is not supposed to have ACCESS to any firearms. Does not matter about self defense.

djiss

Ohhh, you're the guy that is worried about the feds catching up with you for illegal downloads...gotcha! :rolleyes:
I'm only concerned with getting information on how people in this situation can best protect their families, what's the point of your comments when they are not supporting the forum or the topic?

Last edited:

Philxxxx

I'm only concerned with getting information on how to best protect my family, what's the point of your lame ass comments when they are not supporting the forum or the topic?
Well, if you have access to firearms then I would suggest your wife buys a gun safe or vault. If they visit your house and see a gun out & not locked up there is only 1 solution.

Since your wife won't lock up the gun, they will lock up you.

How to protect yourself?? Should have thought of that before you got involved with drugs. Too bad, so sad.

xylene

Your worry not to prevent. You want this catastrophe to happen.

My main concern is how is someone who has felonies supposed to properly protect their family from a intruder with a gun.
Have your wife divorce you, move to separate residences with her taking the children and she can shoot the intruder while you mope about in a bachelor studio bemoaning the poor life choices that left you a convicted felon unable to live up to his god given responsibility as an American Man for packing heat to cap an intruder. :rolleyes:

PS - lots of non-felons sleep just fine without living in a fantasy about blasting an intruder.

In your trigger happy plan - what race is the intruder?

djiss

Have your wife divorce you, move to separate residences with her taking the children and she can shoot the intruder while you mope about in a bachelor studio bemoaning the poor life choices that left you a convicted felon unable to live up to his god given responsibility as an American Man for packing heat to cap an intruder. :rolleyes:

PS - lots of non-felons sleep just fine without living in a fantasy about blasting an intruder.

In your trigger happy plan - what race is the intruder?
Another wasted comment...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">