• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Convited at 19... Seal my record.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cassiecakes

Virginia, I need to know how I can get my case looked at again or if I can even do anything now.

I took a credit card that was left at my work when I was 18 and living with friends (I am now 21). I spend $202 ($200 is a felony in VA where I live) on the card for food, gas, clothing etc. I wasn't thinking of the consequences at the time. When I was offered a plea of a few months in jail and having two misdemeanor charges I turned it down. I didn't feel like I should have any jail time at the time. I was 18 years old, with no criminal history, and had already paid all the money back plus paid my works lawyers back by my court date. I was in shock that's all my PUBLIC DEFENDER could work up with the state. Eventually after a year my case went to trial where I was convicted of two felony charges. Grand larceny and embezzlement (because I took the card while I was working). I am still on probation for this charge and paying back over $2,800 of court fines. I can't leave the state.

All and all I have learned my lesson for this. Truly. I feel like I wasn't represented fairly. I was flopped between two public defenders during my case and never truly got an understanding for what I was facing until it all hit me in the face. I hardly even got to communicate with my public defenders because of how busy there were. I was young and stupid and had no family support what so ever. To this day I haven't had the heart to tell anyone on my moms side of my family. I'm completely ashamed.

If anyone knows anyone I can write or anything I can do PLEASE send me some advice.

This has truly ruined my life.

Thank you for reading.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">