• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Avidcaver

I live and work in Ohio. I recently put my two weeks notice into my company to begin another job. Today was my last day at my old job and I made a some copies at the copy machine some of sign language signs for a friend with a child who should be talking but is not yet about 80 pages and some copies for myself about 90 pages. My new superivsor had a fit called her boss and they marched me out of the building two hours before my shift was over esentially fireing me for making some copies. I am quite confused about the uproar over this, it seems very extreme, especially because I was often told me take what ever I wanted from the donations which were much more valuable than some copies. My question is whether charges can be brought against me for this and if so what type of charges with what type of penalties. I have never had anything like this happen before and it has shocked and frightened me any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

weenor

I live and work in Ohio. I recently put my two weeks notice into my company to begin another job. Today was my last day at my old job and I made a some copies at the copy machine some of sign language signs for a friend with a child who should be talking but is not yet about 80 pages and some copies for myself about 90 pages. My new superivsor had a fit called her boss and they marched me out of the building two hours before my shift was over esentially fireing me for making some copies. I am quite confused about the uproar over this, it seems very extreme, especially because I was often told me take what ever I wanted from the donations which were much more valuable than some copies. My question is whether charges can be brought against me for this and if so what type of charges with what type of penalties. I have never had anything like this happen before and it has shocked and frightened me any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

You took paper and toner that belonged to the company for your own personal use. That would be theft of property- the penalty would depend on the value of the items stolen. No one can know what the company will do in the future about the situation.

JETX

In addition to Weenor's accurate post, your REAL worry should be what kind of recommendation this employer may give in the future.
How do you think your new employer will act if your 'former' employer were to call them and say, "He was fired for stealing company property"??

Avidcaver

I only worked for my former employer for three months before quiting to return to working as a substitute teacher. I will not be putting such a short term employment on my resume, so I am not too concerned about a reference. I have several other employers that will show up on a background check where I worked for several years and are much more likely to be called if a school checks on me.

JETX

I only worked for my former employer for three months before quiting to return to working as a substitute teacher.
And how is that relevant??

I will not be putting such a short term employment on my resume, so I am not too concerned about a reference.
Gee.... that sure speaks highly of your 'professionalism', huh?
And maybe explains why you are just a substitute!! :D

xylene

90 + 80 = 170 pages

170 * $0.09per page (I think this value is very high)

=

$15.30

Your boss was mad that you chose to divert a small amount of company resources for your own use. This is theft, but it is an extremely minor one.

You seem to imply that company policy allowed (or at least appeared to allow) employee use of the copier.

Using so much and on your last day was a BAD call.

Send a note a and clean Andrew Jackson ($20) to your manager and tell her you never realized that employees were not allowed to make occasional copies, and that you had a get time and wish her all the best.

Case closed

PS - I never worked anywhere with a copier where some employee use of the copier was not tolerated to one degree or another.

I do think that a 100+ page job should have been done elsewhere than work - esp on your last day.

Don't act so oblivious.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">