• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copper wire investigation, is it illegal to sell copper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

didn'tdoit

in the U.S. on government/federal property

now here is the story .. a guy at work got caught in action stealing copper wire (he had it in his lunch box with his name on it and they found it)

After they interrogated him, they were able to comply a "list" of people that they "SUSPECT" has stolen copper as well.

Well today they (government investigators) were calling people in the office asking them questions wondering if they were stealing copper as well. Basically wanting them to admit to it to make their investigation easier.

Now my question is, say for instance that they're able to figure out that a buddy of mine (that works on the same job site) SOLD some copper and also where he SOLD it at, can they still charge him for STEALING copper from the job site? OR would they just charge him for SELLING copper? (is it illegal to sale copper?)

just wondering, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
thanks!!!

Isis1

now here is the story .. a guy at work got caught in action stealing copper wire (he had it in his lunch box with his name on it and they found it)

After they interrogated him, they were able to comply a "list" of people that they "SUSPECT" has stolen copper as well.

Well today they (government investigators) were calling people in the office asking them questions wondering if they were stealing copper as well. Basically wanting them to admit to it to make their investigation easier.

Now my question is, say for instance that they're able to figure out that a buddy of mine (that works on the same job site) SOLD some copper and also where he SOLD it at, can they still charge him for STEALING copper from the job site? OR would they just charge him for SELLING copper? (is it illegal to sale copper?)

thanks!!!
it is not illegal to sell copper. it is illegal to STEAL it AND sell the stolen property.

didn'tdoit

what im trying to get you to comment on is what charges might be filled if they don't have any evidence what so ever of a person taking copper from the property but they do have evidence that the person has sold copper ???

stealing and selling is two different things ... do you think that they would have enough circumstantial evidence to go ahead and charge the person? or would they wait and see if they could catch the person red-handed?

needing legal advice here, not wanting to chit-chat about the subject ...

FlyingRon

Well, I left Kentucky back in '49
An' went to Detroit workin' on a 'sembly line
The first year they had me puttin' wheels on cadillacs

Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
'Cause I always wanted me one that was long and black.

One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

HomeGuru

thanks!!!
**A: three counts: stealling, selling stolen goods, being an idiot.

didn'tdoit

lol .. you people are funny

thanks for the humor, we'll just forget that i was needing legal advice on a legal advice message board... other than that, you guys are great ... possibly comedian quality? LOL lets just say your more of a comedy club rather than an lawyers office ...

thanks

justalayman

Copper wire is so valuable that it's worth stealing what you can fit in your lunch box?

It's never worth stealing, as far as I am concerned but it has been between $3 and $4 a pound for quite some time now.

contrary to some statements: if this is just wire, without somebody witnessing him taking it from the job or him admitting to it, they cannot prove he stole the copper he sold to the scrapyard. It could have come from anywhere. Heck, I probably have a couple hundred pounds laying around in my yard right now...

and yes, it was gained legitimately.

and no, it is not illegal to sell copper. It is illegal to sell stolen copper though.

Last edited:

Silverplum

lol .. you people are funny

thanks for the humor, we'll just forget that i was needing legal advice on a legal advice message board... other than that, you guys are great ... possibly comedian quality? LOL lets just say your more of a comedy club rather than an lawyers office ...

thanks
You did get the legal answer. People had fun, also.

:rolleyes:

Indiana Filer

Well, I left Kentucky back in '49
An' went to Detroit workin' on a 'sembly line
The first year they had me puttin' wheels on cadillacs

Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
'Cause I always wanted me one that was long and black.

One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.
One piece at a time, and it didn't cost me a dime

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">