• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cops did not put my kids in carseats!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottygray

What is the name of your state?NY.
i was arrested for shoplifting a couple of weeks ago..unfortunatley i had my young kids with me one is 2and a half and one is one when the police came to get me and my kids i was handcuffed and put in the back of the police car with my two kids ,they were not belted in and there was no carseats , if anything were to have happened id hate to think..he would not remove my hancuffs when i asked so i could at least hold my kids.i was not allowed to change their diapers before i was taken away from them, i was just wondering if anyone has advice? is this something i could take further or do i just leave it??
thanks in advance for any advice
emma :mad:

scottygray said:
i was arrested for shoplifting a couple of weeks ago..unfortunatley i had my young kids with me one is 2and a half and one is one when the police came to get me and my kids i was handcuffed and put in the back of the police car with my two kids ,they were not belted in and there was no carseats , if anything were to have happened id hate to think..he would not remove my hancuffs when i asked so i could at least hold my kids.i was not allowed to change their diapers before i was taken away from them, i was just wondering if anyone has advice? is this something i could take further or do i just leave it??
What were you thinking? Shoplifting with your kids with you. You had to think if you got caught what would happen to them? I'm not judging you just wondering what you were thinking! What happened to the kids are they back in your custody? Didnt you have a vehicle with you? If so were their seats in it? What was their excuse for not safety belting them?

CdwJava

Well, you can call the agency and report them. But I think you have some greater concerns to deal with at the moment then the officers not belting your kids in when they took you away for your crime.

- Carl

scottygray

i know ..i dont know what i was thinking!! it was a first offence so i only got a fine and its all over with. Yes i had a vehicle with me and the car seats werte in my car. at the time someone in the store suggested that they drive my car but the cop said no it was ok. i was pretty much in shoch when all of this happened and now the more i think about his actions the more angry i am at what could have happened i just wondered if i should complain..should i call a lawyey? or should i just leave the whole thing!

Two Bit

You need to find out if they actually broke a law. In Georgia, emergency vehilces are exempt from seatbelt requirements.

If you want to sue them, then you're going to have to show how you, or your kids, were harmed. What are your damages from not having them seatbelted?

This is one of the dangers of committing crimes with your children present.

rmet4nzkx

scottygray said:
You have no damages, no lawsuit.
Report if you want.
1st offense, you mean 1st time you got caught.
Just a fine, breath a sigh of relief, go forth and sin no more!

scottygray said:
i know ..i dont know what i was thinking!! it was a first offence so i only got a fine and its all over with. Yes i had a vehicle with me and the car seats werte in my car. at the time someone in the store suggested that they drive my car but the cop said no it was ok. i was pretty much in shoch when all of this happened and now the more i think about his actions the more angry i am at what could have happened i just wondered if i should complain..should i call a lawyey? or should i just leave the whole thing!
You were in shock? What did you really think would happen? They'd catch you and say," Naw, its your first offense, let me close my eyes and turn around." You should think about your anctions and be angry with YOURSELF, you got lucky they could have taken your kids away and then what would you do?If I were you I'd let sleeping dogs lie. They might "look" into it further and you'd be in a lot more trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">