• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cops pepper sprayed my dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

desireelynne

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hi, Back in march my dog was peppersprayed by the sheriffs deputies who came to my house after my ex p.o. called them about "my welfare"? She was in a gated backyard clearly posted with a beware of dog sign. I took her for treatment the following morning because of listlessness,vomiting and her nose and eyes were irritated with bleeding in the nose from small blisters. Since then her condition has worsened and she has lost a considerable amount of weight, and can not hold down much food. She has a knot and bruising on her side as if she was kicked that day. After almost 1200.00 at the vet I can`t afford any further treatment for her to pinpoint her problem. What are my options here? I have already spoke to the sargent from the shift that day and he told me I was lucky they didn`t shoot her. Is there any legal recourse I can take?

Son of Slam

desireelynne said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hi, Back in march my dog was peppersprayed by the sheriffs deputies who came to my house after my ex p.o. called them about "my welfare"? She was in a gated backyard clearly posted with a beware of dog sign. I took her for treatment the following morning because of listlessness,vomiting and her nose and eyes were irritated with bleeding in the nose from small blisters. Since then her condition has worsened and she has lost a considerable amount of weight, and can not hold down much food. She has a knot and bruising on her side as if she was kicked that day. After almost 1200.00 at the vet I can`t afford any further treatment for her to pinpoint her problem. What are my options here? I have already spoke to the sargent from the shift that day and he told me I was lucky they didn`t shoot her. Is there any legal recourse I can take?

I would think $1200 is quit a bit to spend for doctoring a dog that has been pepper sprayed. I would have an attorney look into suing the veterinarian for malpractice.

D

desireelynne

Re pepperspray

I have taken her to 3 different vets, who each had to do tests, its not just the pepperspray that has made her sick,but whatever else happened to her that day. She has lost 8 pounds, and is losing more by the day. (although I`ll probably never know what really happened to her that day). There is also constant vomiting of her food and depression among other things. So with xrays and tests(even with insurance) 1200.00 is not unheard of. I wanted to know if there was legal recourse I could take against the sheriffs department.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

More than likely, no. As far as I know, every State, County and City has certain immunities from these types of damage lawsuits. If they didn't, those Public Entitities would be broke in no time. So, the odds are you wouldn't prevail anyway.

The defense would be that they had every right to protect themselves from danger and injury posed by your dog.

Quite frankly, I'd rather see your dog injured, than an officer of the law who, as a citizen, means more to me than your dog.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">