• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyrigt infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ringobjingo

What is the name of your state? Florida

Am I witin my rigts, as te author of some photograps, to claim ownersip against someone who used the pictures on their website without any permission? I have requested that the pictures are removed, But I don't think they will be. I have no registered copyright, but I took the pictures.

CavemanLawyer

Yes you can claim ownership of photographs that you have taken and generally preclude others from using them. You don't have to register your copyright to have ownership, that vests the second you create the work, but you do have to register the work before you can file an infringement suit.

Copyright infringement can be a crime, but this isn't going to rise to that level. If anything, this is a civil infringement. The typical first step is to send the owner of that site notice of your claim and request that the content be removed. There are forms online called DMCA takedown notices that you can use. If the owner doesn't comply you can actually send the notice to the webhost as well and they might take action. Last resort would be to register the copyright and file an injunction and seek statutory damages.

You may get additional advice by posting this in the copyright and trademark forum. This really isn't a criminal matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">