• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could this be assault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Timewilltell

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I wasn't sure where the best place to post this question , but hope heres o k. A couple weeks ago I had a frightening experience at work. Around 10pm I went to get trash from outside the building, I heard voices from the parking lot and made a decision to go in until whoever was out there had left. I turned around to go back inside when two men came running towards me. I was so scared!!! There are two heavy automatic doors that I needed to manually push shut. I got inside and was able to get one of the doors shut before they'd completely reached me. I ran and got my partner from another part of the building , the men were still outside ; she quickly locked one of the two doors ,the two men stayed at the door for aprox 5min making hand gestures at us.but they didn't have any weapons that we seen. We immediatly called the police, by the time they got there the guys were gone. Two days later we came outside to find my coworkers tire slashed. They were able to get the person on camera but the image isn't clear, so not sure whether that will help. Anyways ever since we've been consumed by fear of them returning! we filled out a police report but ,could this experience if they find them be considered a form of assault? I'd apreciate any input . Thanks
Lissa

FlyingRon

Sure, assault is the threat of harm. They don't need to have actually connected.
Of course, the destruction of property is no small charge in it's own right.

Timewilltell

Ty

Thanks FlyingRon for your reply,,,I was curious because my coworker was saying that because they didnt have a weapon she didn't think it was a crime. I seen one clearly enough so that a sketch could be drawn. I just hope now that the two guys can be found. I hate living in fear but guess thats all that I can do.

Lissa

FlyingRon

Having a weapon increases the severity of the crime, but you don't need to have one to commit assault. Your words or actions are enough.

sagito327

Time: a civil assault is NOT the "threat of harm." An assault is the "close encounter" of an intentional infliction of a harmful or offensive contact. It is, in fact, the opposite. That being said, trying to hurt you is clearly harmful or offensive. But, for a civil suit, you would have to file legal expenses. You need proof for a criminal suit, and liability for that of civil. For a civil you must prove that they intended to inflict a harm and didn't do so. In all honesty, I'd let it go, and as a "here" of, the police to up security in the area. Otherwise, you may be getting into attorney's fees that you can't handle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">