• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I Be Charged As An Accessory

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nekoken

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

Just looking for some opinion here

A friend of mine, call him "Reo," committed aggravated burglary about a week ago, he was caught on the spot and is awaiting trial.

My problem, is that i drove him to or near where this all took place, but I had no idea any of this was going to take place.

The police called me in, and i told them my story (He told me he needed a ride to a friends house to play games, which was nothing out of the ordinary with us, so i did) And i relayed the approximate times of some phone calls to the police.

Reo confirmed that I had no knowledge of the events (and continues to) but today I was called back in, and got the whole good cop bad cop run, and they flatout called me a liar, saying that the "victim" said he heard Reo on the phone saying "The scenario we talked about happened, come get me" And when i told him i had heard nothing of the sort, as i said he called me a liar and badgered me until my father put and end to it, so he said if he gets the phone records back, and i'm the only one Reo spoke to, that he's going to press charges on me

I should also mention that Reo and a girl (call her Shell) broke up weeks before, and that "Victim" is the new boyfriend.

Shell gave a statement to the police saying that i told her "I had been trying to talk him out of it for weeks" Making it sound like i knew about this ahead of time. When what i actually said that "He has been suicidal for weeks and Ive been talking him out of it for weeks"

Reo's mother was also present at this time and knows I said no such thing to Shell

So I guess my question is, do they really have grounds to charge me with anything? How can they prove or even think that a guy who was held at knifepoint heard what he heard when even the guy looking at 3-10 years of jail time knows I had nothing to do with it

I should also mention that they called me in at my convenience both times the police talked to me, leading me to believe they have nothing, or they would have came and got me themselves.

Questions are welcome if you dont understand something

outonbail

Stop volunteering any information to the police. If they ask to talk to you again, tell them you have been instructed to direct all their requests to your attorney.

If you don't have an attorney, find one.

Nekoken

i talked to one, and a judge my mom knows (who incidentally was the judge who handled Reo's indictment) and they both said that i probably dont need an attorney at this point and that they dont have anything on me or they wouldnt be asking me nicely to come in and speak with them

outonbail

i talked to one, and a judge my mom knows (who incidentally was the judge who handled Reo's indictment) and they both said that i probably dont need an attorney at this point and that they dont have anything on me or they wouldnt be asking me nicely to come in and speak with them
Exactly, which is why I suggested that you stop accepting their nice invitations. If you continue to speak with them, you risk providing them with something that they can arrest you for.

I'm sure you've heard your rights, if not in person, then on TV. Do you recall the part about anything you say, can and will be used against you

You would be surprised at how creative the police can be with innocent statements you make in casual conversation.

Saying nothing at all is the only sure way of avoiding the repercussions that can arise as a result of this creativity!

Nekoken

thanks

yeahs its been about three, almost four days now, and while i dont wnat to get my hopes up, something tells me it wouldnt take that much time to get phone records

but maybe it does

FlyingRon

Please keep all your questions in THIS thread. Your other threads are confusing for their lack of context. You're getting the same advice in every case.

STOP TALKING ABOUT THIS CASE TO THE POLICE AND SCHOOL PERSONNEL.

They are not working in your best interest. As OOB said, decline to talk to them. If they insist, then get the lawyer involved.

Three days is nothing in a criminal prosecution. They can spend months putting together a case and you may not hear squat until then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">