• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I get in trouble? PLEASE HELP FAST!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nackattack

Washington.

ALrighty well first of all I just want to thank you in advance for any help and or advice you might be able to give becuase I am pretty stuck at this point. I am 23 years of age and live in Seattle WA. I was selling a set of 4 rims and tires online when I was contacted by someone interested in buying them. The persone whom I was/am speaking to refers to the persone who wants to buy the wheels as his client. I have never directly spoken with either gentlemen. I am selling the rims for 800 dollars. He agrees to pay the 800 dollars and the shipping fee. HOwever, this is where things get tricky. He doesn't tell me where they are shipping because he says his shipping company will just come and pick up the rims and take care of that. I asked him how much shipping was going to be and he neglected to tell me. He told me he was going to send a money order for the amount needed. I was to deduct the 800 dollars as well as the cost to wire the money to his shipping company. I received the check in the mail the other day for 4,962 dollars!!!! How in the world would shipping be this expensive and why would anyone pay this for a set of used rims and tires? Can I get in some trouble for wireing this money to someone. It is a lot of money? PLEASE HELP

Curt581

Nackattack said:
He told me he was going to send a money order for the amount needed. I was to deduct the 800 dollars as well as the cost to wire the money to his shipping company. I received the check in the mail the other day for 4,962 dollars!!!! How in the world would shipping be this expensive and why would anyone pay this for a set of used rims and tires? Can I get in some trouble for wireing this money to someone. It is a lot of money? PLEASE HELP
Did the buyer send an actual Money Order, or a check?

Be very careful. I'd be willing to bet the check is no good... probably either forged or counterfeit. Call the bank or institution that issued it, and verify that it's good before you do anything with it. If it does turn out to be N/G, call the police immediately. Maybe they can be waiting for the shippers to arrive.

This sounds like a common scam. They give you a bad check for more than the agreed amount, then ask you to refund the difference. They get money, and the rims. You're on the hook with the cops for the full amount of the bad check / money order. Since you don't know who or where the buyer is, you're gonna be pretty screwed. The dollar amount would qualify for felony charges in most states.

JETX

Nackattack said:
I was to deduct the 800 dollars as well as the cost to wire the money to his shipping company. I received the check in the mail the other day for 4,962 dollars!!!! How in the world would shipping be this expensive and why would anyone pay this for a set of used rims and tires? Can I get in some trouble for wireing this money to someone. It is a lot of money?
This is a very well known SCAM!!
Do not fall for it.... do not wire any money to anyone. The check you received is counterfeit or stolen.
For more on this very common con:
http://kyw.com/consumer/local_story_058160044.html
http://www.carbuyingtips.com/nigerian-scams.htm
http://www.aarpelderwatch.org/public/current_news/cashier's_fraud_template.html
And any of hundreds of other warnings on the internet.

Nackattack

Thanks so much to all

Thank you all for your advice. I have just ripped up this check and will be relisting my items for sale. It is sad that this is so common, and that the banks aren't held responsible. After all they are the ones last in posession and the ones cashing the check, how can they come back to us? Well thanks again all and I hope that we can inform more people of this rediculous scam!

Happy Trails

Nackattack said:
Thank you all for your advice. I have just ripped up this check and will be relisting my items for sale. It is sad that this is so common, and that the banks aren't held responsible. After all they are the ones last in posession and the ones cashing the check, how can they come back to us? Well thanks again all and I hope that we can inform more people of this rediculous scam!
The banks in my area do have brochures warning of these types of things. I don't think the bank is responsible. They don't know if the money order or check is a fake and it takes them awhile to figure that out.

Unfortunately the scammers are aware of that and push the person being scammed to hurry and wire real money. Then by the time it is figured out the scammer is never to be heard of again.

Lucky for you that you found out before you were scammed.

Curt581

Nackattack said:
Thank you all for your advice. I have just ripped up this check and will be relisting my items for sale.
Ripping the check up wasn't very smart. It was evidence.

That's why I told you to call the cops if the check was no good. :rolleyes:

What are you planning to tell the shipping people when they come for the rims?

Happy Trails

Curt581 said:

That's why I told you to call the cops if the check was no good. :rolleyes:

What are you planning to tell the shipping people when they come for the rims?
The shipping company most likely won't come since they didn't have any money forwarded to them. I wouldn't have ripped up the check either.

Nackattack, I'm sure you will be hearing from the scammer in the next few weeks.

This link is worth reading: http://www.geocities.com/steerp1ke/David_Ehi.html

JETX

Curt581 said:
Or more accurately... it MAY have been evidence.
The truth is that there is very little chance of this going any further than it is currently.
The 'buyer' may make a demand for his funds, etc., but of course you will ignore them. It will die a quick and timely death.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">