• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

could this be illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

manowar27

What is the name of your state? IL.

Several online chats with different women became sexual. Explicit photos were sent back and forth, although sometimes, only I sent photos of myself to them. After asking them how old they were, the answer was always at least my age, if not older. ( We're talking at least 38 years old ). If I asked their age, was told 38, 46 or whatever, is there any risk of trouble here? God knows its embarrasseing and silly, but doing this with people who represent themselves as adults isn't illegal is it? PS....if a minor represents themself as an adult by saying that their 40 years old, did I KNOWINGLY do anything illegal? This didn't happen, just wondering.

seniorjudge

Q: if a minor represents themself as an adult by saying that their 40 years old, did I KNOWINGLY do anything illegal?

A: I think you would know the answer better than any of us. Without full knowledge of the facts, no one can answer your questions.

gawm

If I asked their age, was told 38, 46 or whatever, is there any risk of trouble here?
nope
God knows its embarrasseing and silly, but doing this with people who represent themselves as adults isn't illegal is it?
nope
PS....if a minor represents themself as an adult by saying that their 40 years old, did I KNOWINGLY do anything illegal?
I don't know, did you?Unless you know, or should have known, that the person is a minor, then no. If you do know, or should have known, then yes.

manowar27

With all due respect Senior Judge, how can I answer my own question? If I were to be chatting with a minor who said she was 40, how would I be doing anything wrong? Not that this happened, but if her age was asked, and she lied, would I be guilty of KNOWINGLY having sexually explicit chat with a minor? Isn't the "knowingly" part of the situation be the deciding factor? Every conversation I've ever had was with women who represented themselves as ADULTS. Like I said, my age ( 42 ) or older. I think I just have some guilt for doing something so ridiculous and embarrassing.

moburkes

Weel, think about it. Were you in a chat room that is advertised as for teens? If so, then you probably knew, regardless of the age stated, that the other person was a teenager. You figure it out. If you're as slow as you claim to be, then you need to stop using the computer.

manowar27

I've never been in a chatroom for minors, or high school kids or anything thing close to that. The chatrooms were always for adults, 40's chat, divorced adults, and so on. I figured the insults would soon be forthcoming, like with anyone who asks questions here. I asked a simple question, is doing what I did with ADULTS cause for worry as far as trouble goes?

CdwJava

manowar27 said:
is doing what I did with ADULTS cause for worry as far as trouble goes?
Generally, probably not. However, there could be other articulated circumstances that COULD make it illegal.

If you have to ask, the best answer is always: Don't do it!

- Carl

manowar27

The circumstances are basically having cyber sex with adult women. Dirty IM's, sending sexually explicit pictures back and forth. Always asking each other how old each of us was before we began. The answer was ALWAYS over 21 years old on both parties.

gawm

The circumstances are basically having cyber sex with adult women. Dirty IM's, sending sexually explicit pictures back and forth. Always asking each other how old each of us was before we began. The answer was ALWAYS over 21 years old on both parties.
I would not worry about it then. That happening between two consenting adults, nothing illegal. If one was underage and you honestly did not know, nothing illegal. They would have to prove you knew the age or should have know the age.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">