• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could a Lawyer Do This In Court or Would the Judge Not Allow It?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hershon

What is the name of your state? CA

One thing I've always been curious about and I've never seen this on TV or read about it and I'd appreciate an answer here is the following:

Lets say hypothetically I have a client who is totally innocent of the criminal charges against
him. Could the client just to show how innocent he is, ask his lawyer to request the jury to individually ask outloud in court directly, any questions they want to ask him, with no time limits or limits to the questions? Is this not permissible in the first place or could a judge allow it? Could the prosecution prevent this? In other words, lets say the defendent is charged with murder. His lawyer requests the judge to allow the jury to ask any individual questions directly to the defendent, such as 1. Have you ever killed anyone, etc.

The bottom line is this allowable or not?

FlyingRon

Won't happen. Juries do not ask questions. It is up for the defense lawyer to ask such questions to elicit responses that may persuade the jury. He'd be better of countering the evidence and testimony against the defendant than playing mind games with the jury (though there is always that component in a jury trial).

seniorjudge

Right.

It is not allowable.

BUT some jurisdictions now allow jurors to take notes and ask the judge to ask the parties questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">