• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

could this lead to an embezzlement charge?????PLZ HELP!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worriedsick05

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? DE

I don't know if I'm being paranoid. I was the treasurer of a student organization at a university and my "term of office" finished this past May. I was supposed to have deposited a certain amount of cash (about $350) relating to our fundraising activities but amidst the chaos of the ending semester I forgot about the whole matter. During the last day of the semester I was cleaning out my space and I noticed the cash. I put it in an envelope to deposit and threw it on the floor next to the pile of trash that I needed to get rid of. Being under a time constraint, I did not pay attention to what I was scooping up and throwing in the garbage can. By mistake, I threw away the envelope with the cash in it!!!!!!!I completely forgot about it because the envelope was not with me when I left the office.

I only now remembered since I was cleaning out some stuff at home and ran across similar inter office envelopes which jogged my memory! I know this sounds implausible but the jog in my memory reminded me of what I had done. The school has not contacted me about this matter because it was cash and the person who took over my job probably does not know about it yet. My question is should I confess to my mistake? And if I do could they press charges of embezzlement against me?
The issue is further complicated because I will be applying for medical school and am in the process of getting my US citizenship. I do not want to jepordize my whole future because of this mistake.
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE!
Thank you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">