• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

counterfeit money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ultima40

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I was shopping at a grocery store in California and attempted to pay for approx. $45.00 dollars in groceries with a $50.00 dollar bill. The checker thought that the bill was fake and gave it to the manager who determined it to be fake . I felt that they might be mistaken and asked if they could use a counterfeit pen to check it . He told me that he had and it was fake. I heard someone say that they were going to make the call to the police. An employee at the service desk loudly asked me for my asked me for my ID and at that point I became aware that I was being accused of committing a crime. I felt humiliated in front of dozens of people became scared and walked out of the store and was later apprehended 2 blocks from the store. When asked if I was in the store, I said I was not and refused to make any more statements. I was arrested and made bail of $30,000. At arraignment I was charged with passing a forged bill, 2nd degree burglary and the California 3 strikes statute. My next appearance is the 14th of Jan. for preliminary hearing. I have spoken with a public defender first time today and told that there was still no police report available and that the DA would probably offer a deal of 25 years to life! I tried to get a police report from the police dept. but was told that it was only available to attorneys. I am an only surviving child and care for my elderly parents. I had no knowledge that the bill was Fake. Can they convict me of this?

CdwJava

Yes, they can convict you of this. Your actions will go a long way to show intent, and since it appears you have a rather extensive criminal history, your credibility and claims of innocence are not likely to be believed.

Speak with your attorney about a possible plea deal. It is always possible that they will take the strike allegation off the table for a guilty plea to som other felony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">