• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

court date tuesday please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onmymind

What is the name of your state? New York

Big Big question. My case is being heard on tuesday. I have heard so many things from people but its so confussing. I got a PL 155.25 for shoplifting. Its my first offense. Should I plead not guilty and get help from a lawyer when they give me my next court date, even though i know i did it? Or should i just plead guilty and pray for a fine and community service and/or probation? I have been told most judges wont even let you plead guilty without a lawyer. I cant afford a lawyer but i would never qualify for public assistance. So im not sure what to do. If ANYONE can help me ide appriciate it.

garrula lingua

See if you can talk to the bailiff in court - they know the most about how harsh/gentle the prosecutor is and they know the procedure in that court.

Generally, you can't hurt yourself by asking to speak with the prosecutor and DON'T SAY ANYTHING about the facts of the case, just ask the prosecutor if they can tell you what their offer is, to resolve the case immediately.
If the offer is too steep, ask the Judge for a continuance to consult with, or hire, an attorney.
If the offer is just community service or even better, diversion, maybe you would want to take that and plead guilty and resolve the case.

Remember, theft is usually priorable (meaning the punishment escalates each time someone is convicted). You should speak with an attorney to see if there is a defense to your charge; you always have the right to a trial by jury (but that usually escalates the punishment as the Judge gets ticked if it seems the defendant lied). Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">