• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court reporting school bans cellphone and penalizes everyone if one person violates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alindsey

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am currently attending court reporting school in CA and there has been a real problem with students texting during class time. My school has constantly asked students to not do so during class hours without any success.

Now they have taken the approach to ban cell phones completely from the building and anyone caught using one in the building will be asked to leave. I believe that is fair, but that is not the only thing that they are doing, they are going as far as telling us that in the event that this were to happen not only will they ask that student to leave the premises but that there will be no tests given in the class that the incident occurs.

The question is, can they legally do that? I am paying monthly tuition to attend school there, and can they prevent me from receiving services I am paying for because some else is failing to abide by their rules.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What law do you believe exists that tells the school when they may and may not give tests?

alindsey

Well, you're right there is no law that prevents them from giving or not giving any tests.

On the other hand, we are required to sign a contract every quarter agreeing that we will attend each class and abide by the rules, and as far as I am concerned if I am fulfilling my obligations as per their contract don't they have a duty to me to fulfill theirs by adhering to the curriculum that they promised to enact.

If I came into the contract knowing that I would receive education based not only on my performance but on someone else's performance I would have no choice but to agree that they can give as many tests as they want or none at all since I was aware that those were the conditions of such said contract; However, the contract is between me and the school.

Last edited:

Antigone*

Well, you're right there is no law that prevents them from giving or not giving any tests.

On the other hand, we are required to sign a contract every quarter agreeing that we will attend each class and abide by the rules, and as far as I am concerned if I am fulfilling my obligations as per their contract don't they have a duty to me to fulfill theirs by adhering to the curriculum that they promised to enact.

If I came into the contract knowing that I would receive education based not only on my performance but on someone else's performance I would have no choice but to agree that they can give as many tests as they want or none at all since I was aware that those were the conditions of such said contract; However, the contract is between me and the school.
So is Holly still teaching theory? Is she still having her big Oscar party this weekend?

It's been years and I can't remember much of the stenography but I used to write notes to myself that no one but me could understand.

I sometimes miss those days...

alindsey

Sorry no Holly at my school. It's probably been a long time since then or perhaps it's not the same school.

Antigone*

Sorry no Holly at my school. It's probably been a long time since then or perhaps it's not the same school.
Not many CR schools in the OC...

But in any case, nothing illegal going on here. You might want to consider touching bases with a school admin and calmly and logically voicing your concerns.

xylene

When raising your concerns...

Remember, the one who tattles gets the same punishment.

I highly doubt a school who is treating you like an infant in preschool will respond to your concerns, not matter how logically raised.

I suppose this of course is a reflection on the sad state of California's system of justice and that State's massive problems in general that adult trainees for government jobs are literally being nannied.

Not the metaphorical nanny state, but literally.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suppose this of course is a reflection on the sad state of California's system of justice and that State's massive problems in general that adult trainees for government jobs are literally being nannied.
Seems to me that it's indicative of the general failure of the population to have common courtesy and respect.

ETA: I'm speaking of the population of students at that school.

You Are Guilty

It's not just students. At a deposition earlier this week, I stopped a moment to review my notes. A few seconds later, I asked another question then looked up, only to notice the court reporter next to me was texting :confused: (To her credit I suppose, she did say "no, go ahead" when I stopped asking my question to stare at her).

Seems to me that the graduates of the OP's school might be ones I would prefer to use.

xylene

A general failure does not make failed solutions work

Seems to me that it's indicative of the general failure of the population to have common courtesy and respect.
Collective punishment, a Stalinist and un-American approach for disciplining even children, let alone adults and would be govt. workers, won't fix a broken world or even what's wrong in those classrooms.

alindsey

It's not just students. At a deposition earlier this week, I stopped a moment to review my notes. A few seconds later, I asked another question then looked up, only to notice the court reporter next to me was texting :confused: (To her credit I suppose, she did say "no, go ahead" when I stopped asking my question to stare at her).

Seems to me that the graduates of the OP's school might be ones I would prefer to use.
Should read: At a deposition earlier this week, I stopped a moment to review my notes. A few seconds later I asked another question then looked up only to notice the court reporter next to me was texting; Confused?? (To her credit I suppose she did say, "No, go ahead." when I stopped asking my question to stare at her.)

Very unprofessional on her part, if you ask me. My argument is not that we should be allowed to text during class, but that if I am abiding by the rules how is it that I should be held accountable for someone else's actions which I absolutely have no control of!

Last edited:

Silverplum

(To her credit I suppose, she did say "no, go ahead" when I stopped asking my question to stare at her).

Should read: To her credit I suppose she did say, "No, go ahead." when I stopped asking my question to stare at her.

Very unprofessional on her part, if you ask me. My argument is not that we should be allowed to text during class, but that if I am abiding by the rules how is it that I should be held accountable for someone else's actions which I have no control off!
You should have placed a period after your sentence ending in, "the rules." And then you ought to have capitalized "How" to begin the next sentence.

Your last word should be "of." But hey, you were close in spelling, improper grammar in that sentence notwithstanding.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is this English class? Do you WISH you were teaching an English class?

Sheesh.

alindsey

You should have placed a period after your sentence ending in, "the rules." And then you ought to have capitalized "How" to begin the next sentence.

Your last word should be "of." But hey, you were close in spelling, improper grammar in that sentence notwithstanding.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Is this English class? Do you WISH you were teaching an English class?

Sheesh.
Thanks for your input on my grammar. Very much appreciated ;) Unlike other people :rolleyes: I can take constructive criticism. No, I don't wish I was teaching an English class. Stuff like "this" helps me learn.

Now, back to the real issue: On the other hand, we are required to sign a contract every quarter agreeing that we will attend each class and abide by the rules, and as far as I am concerned if I am fulfilling my obligations as per their contract don't they have a duty to me to fulfill theirs by adhering to the curriculum that they promised to enact.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for your input on my grammar. Very much appreciated ;) Unlike other people :rolleyes: I can take constructive criticism. No, I don't wish I was teaching an English class stuff like "this" helps me learn.

Now, back to the real issue: On the other hand, we are required to sign a contract every quarter agreeing that we will attend each class and abide by the rules, and as far as I am concerned if I am fulfilling my obligations as per their contract don't they have a duty to me to fulfill theirs by adhering to the curriculum that they promised to enact.

Why don't you go ahead and seek the advice of an attorney. People appreciate the attitude much more when they're being paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">