• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crazy ex keyed my car!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristineish

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A year ago my ex, Alex, pushed me and someone else witnessed it. Long story short he got charged with domestic violence. The court put a protection order against him but we got back together. We took classes to get the court protection order removed but never finished. We hung out, talked on the phone, ect. it was mutual, even though we were breaking the law.

Last week, we broke up and he wasn't very happy on how things ended and keyed my car. Really bad damages. I have it on camera, and can find him 100% guilty. I did file a police report, but have not yet agreed to press charges.

My problem is: I broke the court protection order and if I press charges I know this will come out in court. I would rather press charges, being that my insurance company won't pay for it, and it was completely unnecessary. Then again, I don't want to get in trouble. It's not worth getting a fine or record for. I do not know whether I should just drop it or press charges. Knowing my ex, he would plea guilty. Am i going to get in trouble if I do press charges?

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm very frustrated with the situation and appreciate any help and advice provided. Again thanks.

CdwJava

The protection order bound HIM to stay away from YOU, not the other way around. Certainly a judge will take you to task and may well drop the CPO (because you obviously are not afraid of him), but if he keyed your car, he committed vandalism and you can address that through the courts.

If he is charged with the crime, then he may be compelled to pay restitution for any damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">