• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gucci129

What is the name of your state? NJ
I have a question, My mother is now disabled and out of work. She has and unpaid credit card for 5000.00, in which she is being sued by the company for payment. She has been told she can got to jail for this, can this happen? She is selling the house to pay off debt and buy cheaper couldnt she just make good with debt after sale, or is criminal action required?

racer72

Your mother cannot go to jail and they cannot take her house. She should seriously talk to an attorney about bankruptcy or other legal options. Whoever told your mother she could go to jail if full of BS.

AmosMoses

gucci

This may not apply to your mother's case, but she may have disability insurance for her credit card. Now, she would have to have that service or option, whatever, on the card, and I would assume that there are other qualifications to be met such as havimg the insurance at the time of purchases, that she be legally disabled, etc., and the insurance will likely only pay the minimal payment for a certain time length, but I think it may at least be worth checking in to. If not, like racer said, there are no longer any debtor's prisons . . . your mom won't go to jail, and she should consider seeking to discharge the debt through bankruptcy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">