• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

santafebuyer

What is the name of your state? California I found out while reviewing my credit report that my ex-roommate was using my credit card and had not only commited fraud, but had let it go ninety days delinquent. I was told that because I was in the process of getting a loan that I should not file a police report just yet what is the statute of limitations for this kind of thing?

note4me

What is the reasoning for not reporting this to the police report? I went in to the police after months of not doing anything due to fear of my safety, and the officer told me I should have told them right away.

CdwJava

santafebuyer said:
What is the name of your state? California I found out while reviewing my credit report that my ex-roommate was using my credit card and had not only commited fraud, but had let it go ninety days delinquent. I was told that because I was in the process of getting a loan that I should not file a police report just yet what is the statute of limitations for this kind of thing?
The longer you let it go, the greater the chance that the police won't be able to do anything with it.

And how do you know it was your ex-roommate? Based solely on your credit report, I can't see how you might know WHO had used it.

How long ago was it used?

- Carl

santafebuyer

credit card fraud.............

I know that it was my ex-roommate that commited the fraud because, one, her address showed on my credit report, and two, she admitted it to the credit card company and signed paperwork saying that she would claim full responsibilty for the charges.....I also doubt that the police would really do anything anyway from other stories that I have heard..............

CdwJava

santafebuyer said:
I know that it was my ex-roommate that commited the fraud because, one, her address showed on my credit report, and two, she admitted it to the credit card company and signed paperwork saying that she would claim full responsibilty for the charges.....I also doubt that the police would really do anything anyway from other stories that I have heard..............
After she signed that document, this may well have become a civil matter as opposed to a criminal one anyway.

And as an FYI, an address means little as far as guilt or innocence goes. I have worked credit fraud and ID theft cases where the address used had nothing to do with the person who committed the crime. An address is one piece of the puzzle, but by no means definitive.

And what the police will do depends on what they can prove. If the roomie has written a confession, that would sure make things easy. But, if the person out the money (the credit card company as it seems) has agreed to accept the civil remedy, most DA's aren't going to go through the effort to try a person for something that can now be seen as civil.

- Carl

Veronica1228

santafebuyer said:
File a report anyway just to get it on record. Even if the police do nothing it may be viewed as a willingness to press charges against your roommate if necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">