• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ColaFan123

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Ok, a friend of mine used to work in retail. She found a credit card and was going to save it in case the person came back in for it. She ended up giving it to an employee who was asking for it. (i guess she felt a little peer pressure..dont know)....

Anyway, it has been about 4 1/2 years from what she says.

She wants to know:

A - could she get in trouble for this?

B - what are the chances of something happening like this 4 1/2 years later? The statute is 5 years in NJ.

Thanks in advance.

CdwJava

I'm guessing your "friend" knows (or highly suspects) the person they gave it to used it fraudulently.

Yes, she could eventually be charged if something comes from it. My guess is that this wil lnot happen as I doubt it has been used recently, and if it was used 4 years ago they have either already pursued it or let it go.

In the future, she needs to turn these things over ONLY to her boss, or to whomever the company policy says to turn them over to.

- Carl

ColaFan123

I'm guessing your "friend" knows (or highly suspects) the person they gave it to used it fraudulently.

Yes, she could eventually be charged if something comes from it. My guess is that this wil lnot happen as I doubt it has been used recently, and if it was used 4 years ago they have either already pursued it or let it go.

In the future, she needs to turn these things over ONLY to her boss, or to whomever the company policy says to turn them over to.

- Carl
Hi Carl,

Thank you for the response. And yes, lol..it is my "friend". She is paranoid about this and I told her I would search into it more for her.

That is what I told her, it has been so long, that nothing will probably come about it.

She wants to know...if she did get in trouble for it, what would happen with her? The same as to what would happen to the one who took it?

Also, after this amount of time...do they just drop the case?

Thanks again!

CdwJava

I'm not familiar with the laws in your state, so I don't know whether she could be charged as an accessory or a principal to the crime. My guess is that the LEAST she might face would be for misuing found property. However, it's likely that nothing will happen if it has not already.

- Carl

ColaFan123

I'm not familiar with the laws in your state, so I don't know whether she could be charged as an accessory or a principal to the crime. My guess is that the LEAST she might face would be for misuing found property. However, it's likely that nothing will happen if it has not already.

- Carl
hi Carl,

Thank you again for the response. I told her this...and she wants to know if you know what the chances are of her getting involved in this 4 years later. I told her what you said...that it is likely that nothing will happen if it has not already. She wants to know from your opinion if she should even think about this anymore and if you have stats on how long people are usually cuahgt after? (odds maybe?)

Thanks again and that should be it!

ColaFan123

Ok..one more! lol..sorry! She wants me to say this...There was no proof of her doing it...none at all she said...except for the person that she gave it to.

Would that not even be a problem? I am sure the person that she gave it to told all his friends...so would that count against her?

Ok, I swear, that is it.

Thanks again Carl for your help. She is much appreciative. :)

CdwJava

There is no way to know who might know what. If she's stressing over her guilty conscience, that's fine. With any luck she won't do this again.

Like I said, chances are if they haven't looked her up in the last four years, they aren't going to now.

- Carl

ColaFan123

There is no way to know who might know what. If she's stressing over her guilty conscience, that's fine. With any luck she won't do this again.

Like I said, chances are if they haven't looked her up in the last four years, they aren't going to now.

- Carl
Great, thanks Carl for your help! I passed the word on to her. She now thinks it might be 5 years...lol.

But she did want to know what you meant by "there is no way to know who might know what". Does that mean no proof?

Thanks Carl.

CdwJava

ColaFan123 said:
Great, thanks Carl for your help! I passed the word on to her. She now thinks it might be 5 years...lol.

But she did want to know what you meant by "there is no way to know who might know what". Does that mean no proof?

Thanks Carl.
That is to say that there is no way to know who might know what facts about the case. Without knowing who is in possession of what facts, there is no way to determine whether she COULD be charged. My guess is that she couldn't ... but, you never know.

As I said, after this long, she should be in the clear for this one.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">