• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Appleseed600171

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA
my husband used his parents credit card two years ago. We paid them in check which they cashed 2 years ago for $200. They refused to tell us how much my husband had spent and use the threat of pressing charges to get us to do stuff for them. Even though they excepted payment can they still have my husband arrested and charged with fraud?

20pilot

If they gave permission, they do not have a case for fraud. The credit card company is not going to get involved this late regardless.

If he used it without permission, then they can press charges AND collect the money and I hope they do both. Stealing from partnts is worse than stealing from strangers.

If your husband charged $2,000 and paid them only $200 then he owes them the balance. They need to tell him what he charged and what he owes. If he refuses to pay, they can sue him for the money in small claims court. He will have to claim the value of the work that you and he did for them, but it is totally up to the judge to decide, how much you still owe them.

If that is the type of people they are, why do you want to have anything to do with them? I hope you have stopped using their credit card a long time ago.

Last edited:

Appleseed600171

If they gave permission, they do not have a case for fraud. The credit card company is not going to get involved this late regardless.

If he used it without permission, then they can press charges AND collect the money and I hope they do both. Stealing from partnts is worse than stealing from strangers.

If your husband charged $2,000 and paid them only $200 then he owes them the balance. They need to tell him what he charged and what he owes. If he refuses to pay, they can sue him for the money in small claims court. He will have to claim the value of the work that you and he did for them, but it is totally up to the judge to decide, how much you still owe them.

If that is the type of people they are, why do you want to have anything to do with them? I hope you have stopped using their credit card a long time ago.
They let us use it for gas then my husband charged other stuff probably $500 worth. Car repair, diapers, some tool for work what ever it was. What they made us do was let them baby sit our baby after they fed her milk in her first few months and she ended having having black poop and was sick for a long time. It doesn't equal any money. They just kept saying we want to see the baby or we will press charges. He only used it for a few weeks, then put it back in their house. That was 2 years ago.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
They let us use it for gas then my husband charged other stuff probably $500 worth. Car repair, diapers, some tool for work what ever it was. What they made us do was let them baby sit our baby after they fed her milk in her first few months and she ended having having black poop and was sick for a long time. It doesn't equal any money. They just kept saying we want to see the baby or we will press charges. He only used it for a few weeks, then put it back in their house. That was 2 years ago.
Let me get this straight: You risk your baby's health in exchange for your husband not possibly being prosecuted for something he did even though he had their permission? If they gave permission then he didn't commit a crime. And yet you are still risking your baby? CPS needs to step in immediately and remove the child to the safety of the state's custody.

Antigone*

Why don't you "one up" his parents and call the police first. You tell them that they are blackmailing you and you would like to file a police report.

I do think it is strange that he "only used it for a few weeks, then put it back in their house." That does carry the smell of fraudulent usage. But since you say that is not the case you don't have anything to worry about, right:rolleyes:

Oh, just one more thing: If his mom and dad have been paying the credit card bill all along and never disputed the charges from two years back, it is already too late for them to scream fraud.

Appleseed600171

Let me get this straight: You risk your baby's health in exchange for your husband not possibly being prosecuted for something he did even though he had their permission? If they gave permission then he didn't commit a crime. And yet you are still risking your baby? CPS needs to step in immediately and remove the child to the safety of the state's custody.
I didn't let them baby sit her, thats why we are no longer talking to them. That was before the credit card thing, my husband was out of work and they said they would buy her diapers and pay for gas for him to find work. When he charged other things without permission that they threaten to charge us unless they can have my daughter alone with out us (we were doing supervised visits to their house, she wasnt alone with them for more then a few minutes to go to the bathroom or whatever, we were always present at the house) I would never leave my daughter to be baby sat by those lunitics. My husband diened his parents doing those things to our daughter for a long time but once I had said no to them while we were visting his father told me that I have no parental say in their home they will do what he wants when he wants with his granddaughter. After that my husband believed me that his parents were toxic and need to have no contact with our daughter. Now that this has happened now they are threating us again to press charges for the things he didn't have permission for. Also his brother told us of other charges on the card that my husband said it was not at all him. They keep add more stuff when I know it was back on their kitchen table before they confronted my husband with the other charges. The reason why he gave it back was because he got a job (it was only for gas and diapers during the time he was looking for work so he gave it back) Sorry I'm all over the place but its all happened over a 2 year span.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I didn't let them baby sit her, thats why we are no longer talking to them. That was before the credit card thing, my husband was out of work and they said they would buy her diapers and pay for gas for him to find work. When he charged other things without permission that they threaten to charge us unless they can have my daughter alone with out us (we were doing supervised visits to their house, she wasnt alone with them for more then a few minutes to go to the bathroom or whatever, we were always present at the house) I would never leave my daughter to be baby sat by those lunitics. My husband diened his parents doing those things to our daughter for a long time but once I had said no to them while we were visting his father told me that I have no parental say in their home they will do what he wants when he wants with his granddaughter. After that my husband believed me that his parents were toxic and need to have no contact with our daughter. Now that this has happened now they are threating us again to press charges for the things he didn't have permission for. Also his brother told us of other charges on the card that my husband said it was not at all him. They keep add more stuff when I know it was back on their kitchen table before they confronted my husband with the other charges. The reason why he gave it back was because he got a job (it was only for gas and diapers during the time he was looking for work so he gave it back) Sorry I'm all over the place but its all happened over a 2 year span.

The SOL has not expired to my understanding. He can be charged. HE BROKE THE LAW. He committed fraud. Granted the case is weak if they didn't dispute the charges on the credit card. However, your husband is a thief. And you said he only paid $200 and charged about $500.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">