• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stupidnNH

when i was visiting my mother in california, i used her credit card without her knowledge. i sent money (657.14) via western union and had every intention of paying it back (still do). when she got her bill she reported it to visa who is investigating the matter. when i talked to her today i told her that it was me that did that. she says it is now out of her hands and wished i had told her sooner. what do i do now? i am scared.

L

lakelog

sort of been there

What happened to the western union money? Did she receive it and did the bill ever get paid? I don't think it's really "out of her hands" especially as long as Visa got their money.

I was arrested late December for 10 counts of credit card fraud which is really stupid because I worked in the cash office at the store that accused me of using it. Like I would have used it in my on place of work. I have yet to get to a trial and my lawyer said before he doubted I would. He has requested the "evidence" and a month later hasn't received anything.

My non-legal opinion here is this: if the money hasn't been paid, you will have to pay it back. In my case, the owner of the card filed the charges and not VISA. May vary by state. Because it's less than $1000 if it goes as far as an arrest warrant, plead guilty, explain if given the chance and pay it back. It should be classified as a misdemeanor and a small fine (if that) is the worse I'd expect.

Hopefully someone with legal expertise can help you additionally but I do know how you feel because mine made the front page of the paper and I was as innocent on mine as a person can get. Good luck.

F

FKNA

lakelog is so correct. It is not "out of her hands". She can simply call up her credit card company and tell them she now knows what the charges are and no longer disputes the charges.

S

stupidnNH

visa has cancelled that account, told mom she will not have to pay the monies, and told her that they are investigating the issue and will prosecute. she will call them and let them know, but it is too late according to her.

F

FKNA

We're telling ya, it is NOT TOO LATE. Even though the card has been canceled all she has to do is call them up and say "Credit Card company, this is Mrs. X. I now know what those charges are that I was disputing. I am no longer disputing those charges and will pay the balance". It really is that simple

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">