• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card problem for fiance in prison

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anthom123

I need your guy's help please!!

My fiance is currently incarcerated and a few weeks ago we decided to try to sign him up for a credit card online, just to see if it would work. And he was approved! Well the card came yesterday, and he wanted me to try to send 300 via western union to myself with it, online. So I tried to do it and it said that he needed to call western union to complete the transaction. Well, I called and told them I was his fiance and that he had asked me to call because he was out of town and his cell phone was out of minutes, and the lady told me HE had to call in order to complete the thing. I had one of my friends call in, from another state, and she made her voice masculine and pretended to be my fiance. She spoke to the same lady I did and the lady first asked her if she was a Pisces, and when my friend said we're not into astrology, the lady said she was going to pull the credit report. Well my friend got disconnected from her, and the lady called her back saying that she was looking at my guy's credit history and that there is no job history on it and that in order to do a western union money would have to be brought into an actual western union store.

I told my fiance this, and he said well, try MoneyGram. So I did....only this time, it wouldn't even let me try to do a transaction. As soon as I signed up for an account for him it said that the account was suspended, and to all Moneygram to finish setting it up. I called, and per my fiance asking me to, tried my best to have a deep voice and answer the agent's questions. She said thy didnt have enough information to verify my identity and that she'd send me an email saying what needed to be done in order to do a transaction. The email said to fax in a copy of an ID and something showing my fiance's name and billing address.

After that.....my guy said to try one more thing, which I did. It's an online game place, and it actually let me put 200 on it. Not more than an hour later I got a call on my cellphone from a number I didn't recognize, so I didn't answer. When I looked it up online it said it's Bank of America's fraud department. With my fiance on my home phone telling me to call them, I called them from my cell and made my voice deep again, and the guy I got asked for my name and card number, and I told him. And he said "so, you're calling in for Joe Smith then?" And I said no, I am Joe Smith. He said, "riiiiiight" in a sarcastic tone, then asked if I could provide valid identification. I said I could and he said until then, the card couldn't be used.

Now here are my/my fiance's questions:

1. Should I call them and explain to the card company that my fiance is in prison, that he gave me authority to sign him up for the card because he gets out in just about a year and would like to build his credit up some.

2. The 200 that WAS put on the gaming place, should I have that withdrawn and put back on the card, or should I just pay the bill when it comes and leave it at that?

3. Would this be considered "fraud"? Can I or can my fiance get into trouble because of this? We weren't trying to do anything bad :(

4. My fiance thinks that when my friend called WesternUnion, that's what set the whole thing off. Do you think that's the case, or do you think the card company knew he was in prison even when the application was filled out?

5. What do you guys think I should do? I am freaking out here:(:(:( I've talked to a couple people who have said to leave it be....don't attempt to use the card ever again, pay the 200bill when it comes, and they won't do anything about it. But what do you guys think? Are there any attorneys or lawyers on here that might have an opinion??

Thank you in advance for any advice!

CdwJava

1. Should I call them and explain to the card company that my fiance is in prison, that he gave me authority to sign him up for the card because he gets out in just about a year and would like to build his credit up some.
You could do that ... but they are under no obligation to believe you, and are also under no obligation to allow the card to be used.

Chances are he LIED on the credit card application anyway ... when it asked for employment or income verification, did he let them know that he was in prison earning however many pennies a day in the workshop?

2. The 200 that WAS put on the gaming place, should I have that withdrawn and put back on the card, or should I just pay the bill when it comes and leave it at that?
That's up to you.

3. Would this be considered "fraud"? Can I or can my fiance get into trouble because of this? We weren't trying to do anything bad :(
It's hard to say ... but, if one of you lied on the application, you could. And if you got someone to impersonate your fiance in order to access the ccount, you might be guilty of a crime as well.

4. My fiance thinks that when my friend called WesternUnion, that's what set the whole thing off. Do you think that's the case, or do you think the card company knew he was in prison even when the application was filled out?
Unless he told them on the application, HOW was the credit card company going to know?

5. What do you guys think I should do? I am freaking out here:(:(:( I've talked to a couple people who have said to leave it be....don't attempt to use the card ever again, pay the 200bill when it comes, and they won't do anything about it. But what do you guys think? Are there any attorneys or lawyers on here that might have an opinion??
Do not USE the card! If you want a card, get one in YOUR name.

- Carl

JETX

My fiance is currently incarcerated and a few weeks ago we decided to try to sign him up for a credit card online, just to see if it would work. And he was approved! Well the card came yesterday, and he wanted me to try to send 300 via western union to myself with it, online. So I tried to do it
Your subject line says that this is a credit problem for your fiance. That is not correct. This is YOUR problem. You have very likely committed credit fraud and could face criminal charges.
IMMEDIATELY pay back any and all charges made on the account then cut up the card and send it back to them telling them to close the account. If you are lucky and pay it back in FULL, they won't find out about your little CRIMINAL conduct.

said that he needed to call western union to complete the transaction. Well, I called and told them I was his fiance and that he had asked me to call because he was out of town and his cell phone was out of minutes, and the lady told me HE had to call in order to complete the thing. I had one of my friends call in, from another state, and she made her voice masculine and pretended to be my fiance. She spoke to the same lady I did and the lady first asked her if she was a Pisces, and when my friend said we're not into astrology, the lady said she was going to pull the credit report. Well my friend got disconnected from her, and the lady called her back saying that she was looking at my guy's credit history and that there is no job history on it and that in order to do a western union money would have to be brought into an actual western union store.
Yep.... all of the above shows us clearly that you (and now your 'friend') are involved in criminal conduct.

I told my fiance this, and he said well, try MoneyGram. So I did....only this time, it wouldn't even let me try to do a transaction. As soon as I signed up for an account for him it said that the account was suspended, and to all Moneygram to finish setting it up. I called, and per my fiance asking me to, tried my best to have a deep voice and answer the agent's questions. She said thy didnt have enough information to verify my identity and that she'd send me an email saying what needed to be done in order to do a transaction. The email said to fax in a copy of an ID and something showing my fiance's name and billing address.
Sounds like they are on to you. Better answer that knock on the door.... might be the police to tell you that you have won a bright new pair of bracelets!! :D

After that.....my guy said to try one more thing, which I did. It's an online game place, and it actually let me put 200 on it. Not more than an hour later I got a call on my cellphone from a number I didn't recognize, so I didn't answer. When I looked it up online it said it's Bank of America's fraud department. With my fiance on my home phone telling me to call them, I called them from my cell and made my voice deep again, and the guy I got asked for my name and card number, and I told him. And he said "so, you're calling in for Joe Smith then?" And I said no, I am Joe Smith. He said, "riiiiiight" in a sarcastic tone, then asked if I could provide valid identification. I said I could and he said until then, the card couldn't be used.
Yep. Sounds like the creditor(s) are about to drop the hammer on YOU!!!

But what do you guys think? Are there any attorneys or lawyers on here that might have an opinion??
I think that your little game is about to explode on you.... and wanna' bet that your 'fiance' will deny ANY knowledge of your actions when they question him??

anthom123

This coming Friday I am going to send a money order to cover the $200. Should I cut up the card and send it back in the same envelope with the payment, along with a note saying to please close the account?

Also, I put my cell phone number on the application as a contact number and as I said before, I don't answer calls from area codes I don't recognize. If they try to call, should I answer and tell them who I am, and tell them that it's my fiance's card? Or should I just not answer and let my voicemail pick it up?

Thank you again for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">