• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

l_eriksen

BEGGING FOR HELP

What is the name of your state? NY

A long time friend of mine opened a credit card in August 2001 in my name and put himself as a secondary user without my knowledge. When I found out in Sept 2001, I didn't know what to do. He has custody of his son and I didn't know what would happen to him. ($10,000 was the balance) I told him he better pay it and he said he would. I checked with the company to make sure he was paying it and they told me I was being sued. He paid about three payments and then stopped. I explained the situation and they told me to file a police report and send them a letter and they would put my account as lost or stolen for 14 days. I did all of this and called them back. Now they are telling me that I am liable because I made a verbal agreement with him. Is this true? Why did they tell me to do all of this if I was liable anyway? I asked them how the account was opened and I was told they are not sure, possibly through the internet. None of the info they had was correct. They had his address and phone number and my middle initial was wrong. What can I do? I have never been late with a payment in my life and this is going to ruin my credit. I have also filed a complaint with the FTC.:confused

Last edited:

C

CombatTN88

Re: BEGGING FOR HELP

l_eriksen said:
What is the name of your state? NY

A long time friend of mine opened a credit card in August 2001 in my name and put himself as a secondary user without my knowledge. When I found out in Sept 2001, I didn't know what to do. He has custody of his son and I didn't know what would happen to him. ($10,000 was the balance) I told him he better pay it and he said he would. I checked with the company to make sure he was paying it and they told me I was being sued. He paid about three payments and then stopped. I explained the situation and they told me to file a police report and send them a letter and they would put my account as lost or stolen for 14 days. I did all of this and called them back. Now they are telling me that I am liable because I made a verbal agreement with him. Is this true? Why did they tell me to do all of this if I was liable anyway? I asked them how the account was opened and I was told they are not sure, possibly through the internet. None of the info they had was correct. They had his address and phone number and my middle initial was wrong. What can I do? I have never been late with a payment in my life and this is going to ruin my credit. I have also filed a complaint with the FTC.:confused
Look at your other posts. Perhaps one of your posts already got an answer.

L

l_eriksen

I did.

I did and all I got was some wise guy accusing me of lying.

Y

yoyoma

Then you MUST file credit card fraud charges against your friend, and have social services take his kid.

THEN you will be believed!

L

l_eriksen

I did and the credit card company doesn't care. They said I am liable since I made a verbal agreement to let him pay it after I found out about it. I just don't understand how I can be liable when the company allowed this to happen. They didn't varify anything, not even my name. My signature is not on anything and I made no agreements with this company. It is their fault that this happened.

Last edited:

JETX

Ignore YOYO... he is just an ignorant troll wannabe.

There are several problems that you have, the main one is: The credit card company is correct. By not filing fraud charges at the time you became aware of the act, you have condoned it. The fact that that the abuser later breached his agreement with you... has no bearing on the credit card company.

Now, lets see if there is a way that you can get out of this...
1) Did you sign ANYTHING regarding the credit card application, etc.??
2) Did you have ANY prior knowledge of this fraudulent credit card.... prior to the demands for payment.
3) Where were the bills sent to??? Your address or his.
4) You apparently contacted the credit card company and gave them information about your repayment agreement. Was this done in writing or verbal. If verbal only, who is to say that the caller wasn't the scammer himself???

You now have to attack this on two fronts. First, would be your complete denial of any accountability for this fraudulent account. Secone, will be that any subsequent acceptance by your MAYBE allowing repayment has no bearing on any charges incurred PRIOR to that 'acceptance'.

Send the creditor a letter denying any involvement in this fraudulent account and DEMAND that they prove that you were the applicant. Include a statement that absent any proof on their part, they are instructed to cease any further contact and to remove any and all negative reports to credit agencies. Send it certififed RRR.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">