• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a crime??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

piston2000

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I recently returned mechandise to a department store, which they claim they refunded to me an excessive amount of money in the form of store credit (card). I have a reciept showing that I returned the amount of merchandise they refunded to me, but they claim the receipt I have was a mistake on their part. The store is threatening to turn the situation over to their legal department if I don't return the credit card which is same as cash. What can they do if I decide not to return the card, since I have a receipt? I don't believe the amount is worth their time to file a civil suit. Could they try to turn this into a criminal case and try to prove I was aware of a mistake?

Piston

H

hmmbrdzz

Are you denying the mistake occurred as they said it did, or are you trying to profit from their mistake?

hmmbrdzz

P

piston2000

The answer to your question is probably what you thought. I cannot afford to repay them and may not based upon whether or not this could be a criminal case. I'm hoping my reciept is defense enough.

H

hmmbrdzz

So you've kind of used that card knowing that the money on it wasn't yours? That is a crime. If the store wants you to return that card and they've threatened to get their legal powers involved, they won't mamby pamby around weighing the cost of taking legal action against you. If that occurs, you will be paying a whole lot more. They made a mistake, too, so I'm sure they'll be willing to work with you on a payment plan of some kind for what you have put on that card and now can't pay for. The receipt, by the way, will be used against you. You can't play stupid on this one and win. If you now use that card after they've advised you to stop using it and they've advised you to return it, they will come after you with everything they can.
If you don't want trouble from this, pay it back. Might as well start as soon as you can. Ask them if you can start making payments after the Holidays!

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">