• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this a crime ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wannaknow67

What is the name of your state? LA

my girlfriend's cat was missing. she searched the neighborhood in search of him since he is usually is kept in at night. she heard her crying in a garage down the street and attempted to ask the neighbor by knocking on their door. no one was home.
hysterical because the cat was trapped and couldn't be coaxed out (and the cat was crying) she informed me that the cat was in the garage. she tried to get her to come out for approx 1 hour.
i finally went down and checked out the situation. the cat was stuck. the door to the garage was locked and there was no visible enterance. however, there was exposed hinges to the door. i then took a screwdriver from my car, popped the hinges/pins out, let the cat out, and put the property back as found (locked and undesterbed). no harm was meant, just to release the cat. in hindsight we realize this may have not been the brighest idea. Please advise.

F

Fuwad

does your neighbor know, if not dont worry bout it, jus keep an eye on that cat next time, dont bother telling him he might flip you jus cant trust people ne more.

W

wannaknow67

he knows......
he knows someone got in and is pi**ed, he doesn't realize is was intended to be harmless.

F

Fuwad

as long as he doesnt know it was you dont worry bout it, and like i said DONT TELL HIM, sum people are jus insecure so theyll get the law involed n the stupidest things, really prosiquters run wild n this country.

calatty

Right, not a bright idea. It would not burglary because you did not intend to commit a felony or theft once inside, but it might be trespassing. A cat in a garage is not an emergency situation requiring immediate rescue. You should have just left a note or, if it was an emergency, called the police.

dequeendistress

may have not been classified as a burglary as the poster stated the facts in their estimation, but prove that the cat was there etc. Next time I would try to contact the owner of the home before I took it upon myself to enter their dwelling for any reason...unless of course it was a life or death situation, in which I would suggest a quick call to local law enforcment in addition...just think, had the home had a silent alarm....here you are taking the hinges off the door, the cat is now free and has run off at about the same time the cruisers arrive...bad scenerio.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">