• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this a crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharona3

What is the name of your state? California and Oregon

First, let me begin by saying I am going through a nasty divorce with substantial assets. While we were still separated but before I served divorce papers, my husband used two credit cards to obtain money. He used a joint card and a card in which I am the primary and he is an authorized user. He swiped it through our coorporation in Oregon (we reside and are divorcing in California), charged it as a "sale", then withdreww $22,500 from the bank. From the credit card comapny's point of view, this would be considered a cash advance. He was court ordered to make the payments but is over three months behind. My credit is shot. My questions are as follows: is this a crime? Is this embezzlement, fraud or conversion? Since he is president of the corporation and 50% shareholder (I own the other 50%), can I do anything about it? Do I need to get an Oregon Attorney. Lastly, is the bank liable in any way? They are also the bank that handles the credit card/merchant transactions. Thanks for your replies.What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

Were there any contractual conditions on his use of the card such as limits?

If he used a card he was authorized to use, on an account he was authorized to use, to access funds he was authorized to use, then I don't see where the crime might be.

It sounds like you may have to take this up with the family court as he is behind in court-ordered payments.

You should consult your attorney.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">