• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crime Scene Photos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MammaBear76

What is the name of your state? CA

I heard a rumor that the release of the DVD Texas Chainsaw Masacre includes photos of the original crime scenes of these crimes. If this is true. . is it legal? Do the families of the victims have to consent? Or are they a matter of public record?

M

MammaBear76

None. I was asked the question and didn't know how to answer it. It peaked my interest so I asked here. Thought someone would know the answer.

JETX

"If this is true. . is it legal?"
*** Yes.

"Do the families of the victims have to consent? Or are they a matter of public record?"
*** Crime scene photos are not published prior to trial since they could taint the jury pool. Once the legal case is completed, they can be published but are usualy not out of a sense or propriety or due to departmental or agency policy (mainly due to their 'gore factor'). Unless sealed by a court order, they would not need permission of the victims family to be released.

In fact, if you do a search on the internet, you can find all kinds of gross and often disturbing crime scene pictures, including the victims of OJ Simpson!!

NOT for the squeamish:
http://www.bobaugust.com/photo.htm#no1
http://www.crime-scene-photos.com/Page5.html

C

CrAzY_WhItEbOy

JETX said:

Crime scene photos are not published prior to trial since they could taint the jury pool. Once the legal case is completed, they can be published but are usualy not out of a sense or propriety or due to departmental or agency policy (mainly due to their 'gore factor').[/url]
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought it said on the movie that they never caught the dude from that movie, "Leatherface" or whatever his name was. I never heard anything about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">