• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

crimes of moral turpitude

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

copacabana

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Last summer I worked in the USA with non-immigrant visa. I had taken 7-8 books from the city’s library. At the time, when I was about to leave the USA, my work-schedule was full, and I didn’t have time to return them. I left the books to a friend of mine, who was a local resident to return them to the library. But it seems that this friend of mine has has misused and "forgotten" to do so, since I received an e-mail that the library has billed the books to my account.
This year I received notification letter that I’ve won from the Green card lottery. I am concerned of whether this story with the books could be an obstacle for me to obtain a green card. I’ve read that green card could be rejected due to crimes of moral turpitude. Is the non-returning of borrowed books to the library considered as a crime and if it is could be considered as a crime of moral turpitude? I could only read that larceny (grand and petty) do fall into this cathegory. However I have not done the non-returning with an evil intent, which is also a prerequisite for such a crime.
As long as I remember the library did not take my SSN when I was registering, only my Int. passport in order to record my name. Could they sue me for the balance charged on my account?

Just Blue

How about sending the library a American Express Money Order for the cost of the books? Or call and pay by credit card....

copacabana

re

I will pay for the books anyway. But it won't help paying if the failure to return books is considered as a crime. Moreover a year has passed since then and I am afraid if it is too late?

Just Blue

I will pay for the books anyway. But it won't help paying if the failure to return books is considered as a crime. Moreover a year has passed since then and I am afraid if it is too late?
I doubt that the Library has pressed charges for the books...But pay the fine. AttyLana should be on today and perhaps she can be more helpfull...She is an Immigration Attorney.

copacabana

re

I'll be very grateful. My question is not whether I should pay or not, it is clear if I want to start a new life in the US I should pay. If I haven't paid until I arrive in the US, they'll find a way to make me do it - probably I will not be able to register in any library until I pay to this one (just like banks do for outstanding debt). I only want to know of whether the deed (or the absence of deed in this case - failure to return) is a crime and whether it could be classified as a crime of moral turpitude or as a larceny (which is a crime of moral turpitude). Next time I will not be that trustful and I will not entrust books, DVD's or whatever to someone else if they have been checked out on my account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">