• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal ACt? Knocking on a neighbors window?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeyGilbert

California

A neighbor’s dogs have been barking nonstop for 3 weeks. I went to the house in person. There is no front door because it is behind the fence with the vicious dogs (they have bitten numerous people). I therefore knocked on the window. The owner came out and I asked him to have his dogs stop barking, he said “they’re dogs, **** you” and walked back in. I knocked on his window again and he said he was calling the cops. We verbally yelled at each other for about two minutes. The cops came to my door and said that he said I took my shirt off and wanted to fight, which is untrue. The cops said the only reason I wasn’t in handcuffs was because the dogs had bitten him too. The cop asked me not to go there again and said he would tell the guy to let it go and not press charges. The cop called me and asked me to “call dispatch” when I got his message. Here are my questions:
1. What can they charge me with? If anything?
2. Should I call him back?
3. What should I say/not say in my next call with him?
4. Any other advice?
5. What could they be trying to charge me with?

Just Blue

Why did you wait 3 weeks to request the dog(s) owner to quiet the dog(s) down? Did you call the police to complain during that 3 week period?

MikeyGilbert

Website says to contact animal control services and fill out a log. I did that and submitted it. I followed what they said to.

csi7

You did all that, and, then, you knocked on the neighbor's window.

Once you have alerted the authorities of the problem, you need to pursue the matter through the system with the authorities.

You chose not to knock on the neighbor's window in the beginning, and after the authorities didn't move fast enough for you, then you chose to knock. That is provoking the situation, not helping to resolve it.

Be persistent in following up with the authorities, since that is where this started.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">