• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

criminal background checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joanne555

What is the name of your state? Georgia

in a job application it asks if been convicted of felony or other offense in the past 7 years.
if there is a criminal record from 7 years 3 months ago, will the background check pick that up and am i obligated to say yes to this question? Will the background check search for a specific date range (7 years back from 11-20-2002), which wouldn't pick up the criminal charge Or a year range such as between 1995 to 2002, which would pick it up?

JETX

Criminal charges aren't like a credit report. They will follow you for your lifetime. If you have a criminal record from anytime in the past, it will show up on a proper criminal history check.

J

joanne555

I know it's there forever, but am I obligated to say yes on the application when the misdemeanor took place a little over 7 years ago?

T

todd25

I posted a similar question only you are a little further on since your misdemeanor than I. Well, i recently received info from a background investigation service, and it said that in most cases investigations can only check up to seven years. It said info before then is considered outdated and may not be reported. I hope this is true because i am counting down the years until i reach seven.
And from experience, i have told the truth on apps and have always been denied. So, depending on your misdemeanor you might have a better chance at checking no. (if the seven year rule is true.)

T

todd25

expungement

Dear joanne,
If you have obeyed all terms of your probation and have no other convictions, you may be able to have your conviction removed from your record, by means of expungement. look up terms and conditions online to find out more info. the beginning of the process starts by having your conviction dismissed and you can do so by filling out a form from the county clerk. you can do this after 3 yrs or when your term of probation is up. once/if it is dismissed you can then have your record perminantly expunged and won't have to check yes under criminal convictions on applications. contact an agency who specializes in expunging criminal records. the going rate is about $700 but well worth it in the end. Best of luck to you.....
if you need support email me, i'll be curious to find out the outcome, i'll be going through the same thing in about a year.

JETX

joanne555 said:
I know it's there forever, but am I obligated to say yes on the application when the misdemeanor took place a little over 7 years ago?
In your original post, you said that the employer was only interested in the previous 7 years and your 'history' was previous to that (7 yrs, 3 mos). In that case, you should not be 'penalized' for not reporting that 'expired' history.

I can say this from experience.... when I run criminal histories on subjects, their histories are often in excess of 7 years. In fact, I just ran one yesterday who had a theft over $500 from 1985!! Simply, any 'hope' of a 7 year expiration is just that.... hope (and not fact).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">