• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This A Criminal Or Civil Matter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dawench

What is the name of your state?HAWAII
MY PROBLEM IS THIS: WE MOVED TO A NEW HOME WHICH HAD BASIC CABLE BUT WE HAD NO CABLE BOX. SO WE BORROWED THE ONE WE WERE USING AT MY UNCLE'S HOME WHERE WE LIVED PREVIOUS. ANYWAY, MY HUSBAND AND I FIGURED THAT WE HAD WE HAD FREE CABLE SINCE THE PREVIOUS TENANTS DID NOT TURN THEIRS OFF. WE USED THE BOX FROM MY UNCLES' TO PROGRAM OUR REMOTE AND IN THE MEANTIME, ORDERED A BUNCH OF PAY PER VIEW MOVIES WHICH WE HAD NO IDEA WOULD BE CHARGED TO MY UNCLES BOX SINCE WE WERE USING IT AT A DIFFERENT ADDRESS AND HOOKED UP TO A DIFFERENT CABLE LINE. WELL, NOW THEY ARE TRYING TO SAY WE RAN UP A $1200 BILL IN A WEEK AND A HALF. THEY WON'T SHOW US THE BILL AND WE RETURNED THE BOX TO THEM. NOW , SINCE WE CANT PAY THE WHOLE BILL AND INSIST TO SEE THE BILL, THEY ARE THREATENING TO CALL THE POLICE TO SAY WE STOLE THE BOX. IS THIS A CRIMINAL MATTER OR A CIVIL MATTER. THEY LET US USE THE BOX, ALTHOUGH NOW THEY ARE SAYING DIFFERENTLY. CAN THEY HAVE US ARRESTED? ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED.
MAHALO,
DAWENCH

D

dawench

Can't It's Stuck!

Sorry,
But The All Caps Is Stuck... Any Advice?

Mahalo :(

stephenk

"Is This A Criminal Or Civil Matter?"

So how did you type the title of your thread?

Anyway, it is both a criminal and civil matter. If they have proof that you were getting free cable plus buying movies (cmon, you knew it was illegal) you can be charged with theft. PLUS, you could be sued in civil court for the money that is owed.

My advice: pay the bill. borrow off a credit card or from family/friends.

D

dawench

they let us borrow the box. second, we have no problem paying the bill, but i would like to see it. i called the cable company myself, and they said they had a previous balance of their own, which i feel i shouldn't have to pay. and also, they have a cable package that they pay couple of hundred dollars for including dsl service. so how do i know what is my charges and be sure they not trying to make me pay all their bill. got my drift? at least show me the bill. and i have no problem. also, they let us the box, we didn't steal it as they are now trying to say.

CdwJava

What they generally do is charge the MAXIMUM that could POTENTIALLY have been accessed by the illegal use of the box. That means they are probably charging you for every premium channel, all pay-per-view specials, etc. And this has tended to be pretty standard fare.

You MIGHT consider trying to negotiate the rate down by figuring what you really DID use, and paying them that amount. perhaps send a letter accompanying the check acknowledging that during the time period you accessed HBO, Showtime and the Premium Service Plus (or whatever they call the package(s) that contain the channels used) and sending a check to cover that amount for that time period. Additionally, perhaps you can state in the letter that if they accept this payment and cash the check, that you will consider any liability you owe to be paid in full.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know exactly how that might work, but I do know people that have done things similar to this with soime success.

Oh, and you COULD face criminal charges (depending on the laws in HI and the circumstances), so you may not want to push the issue TOO much.

Carl

D

dawench

thank you

Thank you Carl
I appreciate your reply. I will try and do just that.

Weather's nice here in Hawaii, folks.
mahalo
lisa
da wench from hawaii ;)

CdwJava

Too bad none o fthe islands in HI accept lateral officers from other states - or even from other counties within the islands! They might be able to fill their ranks! Oh, and then there's the low pay ... but, it IS beautiful. We spent two weeks there last year, and plan to go again next year!

Mahalo.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">