• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Damage To Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EricAA

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have been charged with criminal damage to property (less than $300.00). I was using an ATM machine which locked up and did not dispense my cash or return my card. In fear of the card being ejected when I wasn't there, I put a piece of cardboard in the slot where my card went in. I cancelled my card that same night, was called by the bank the next day which stated the machine ejected the cash (20 minutes after I left the site and an hour after the initial transaction) and after returning a form, the bank credited the $20 I tried to withdraw, but never received. Without any written notification, I was arrested on a warrant 4 months later. I had a court appearance today and the judge asked how I plead - not guilty, and now I have to return in 3 months for a trial. Can this be avoided? The bank originally stated the damage was $1000, but the paperwork I received states not more than $300. The judge mentioned today I could be fined up to $2500 and/or spend up to 364 days in jail. What should I do?

Thanks.

Can I change my plea? What are my options for pleas? Can I avoid trial?

Thanks?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">