• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ridley

Breeder lives in VA, I am from NC

I put down a deposit on a dog with a breeder that said the following:
1. That she was a vet
2. That there was a lifetime written gaurentee against hereditary defects.
3. That the puppy would be AKC registered.

I went to visit the pup, he is 1 week old, and can be taken home in another 6 weeks. I had a funny feeling about the woman so I asked some more questions. She told me where she had gone to vet school and were she worked as a vet. I called the law school - they never heard of her.

I called every animal hospital in the area, they never heard of her.

I then called an AKC rep for breeder referral and when she heard the name she told me to run the other way. She said she has received atleast 10 complaints about this breeder, about the dogs not being healthy and about them not being AKC reg. She also is not a vet. She was once a receptionist at a vets office but has been fired.

I have given her a deposit of 50% ($300) and the check has already been cashed. The contract that we signed does not say that the money is returnable or not.

The AKC rep also told me she was wanted by police for check fraud. I am waiting for the police to call me back.

This is my question -

If I take it to civil court and they find that she owes me my money back what is there to enforce that she repays me?

Is there anyway that this could be a criminal matter? She knowingly misleaded me.

Do I take this to court in the state it happened or the state I live in?

Please help
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">