• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Harassment? (Massachusetts)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xxharley

Here's some information:
My mother and I do not talk to each other. When I was younger she abused me mentally and physically. She has had multiple restraining orders placed on her (from other people) and many neglect charges from the Department of Social Services. She assaulted her own mother once as well.
About a year ago I cut her out of my life for good. She continued to e-mail me and send me cards in the mail. I asked her to stop many times and she told me that she would not stop and that I would have to get a restraining order. I changed my e-mail address and blocked her on Facebook.com. She continued to send messages to my friends about me and my husband (asking about us, talking trash, etc). I continued to ask her to stop. A week ago she called the Department of Children and Families (the social worker can't confirm that it was her, but we know for a fact that it was) and filed allegations that my husband is an active drug abuser and that he beats me. She also claimed that I have mental health problems and that we neglect our son. All of those claims are false. My husband submitted to a drug test and was fine. He doesn't abuse me. Our son is healthy and loved. I had depression issues when I was younger, but only because of the abuse I suffered from my mother.

My question is: would we be able to get a restraining order against her based on this information? Is this considered criminal harassment? Is there anything that we can do?

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">