• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Michief, where to start?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kapitolh

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this question as I've never had to deal with something like this before. Here is a short explaination as to what happened and where I should take things from here.

On the afternoon of Wednesday, June 2nd I took a 2 night camping trip out of town with my girlfriend. As we were at a location without cell phone service, we wern't able to retrieve any voicemails or text messages until we got back into cell phone range on our departure Friday, June 4th. At that time, we received multiple phone messages from the local sheriffs dept. as well as neighbors. All of which stating that our house had gotten broken into while we were out of town. Once we got home, we noticed that the front windows of our residence were broken. Out of our 3 cats, 1 had been locked inside, 1 had escaped and was caught by a neighbor and 1 had been picked up by animal control.

We learned today, Saturday June 5th that a suspect has been arrested and charged. With that being said, my question is where to take things from here. I already have my insuarance in the first steps of opening a claim to cover the costs of the windows as well as hopefully covering some Vet fee's regarding an injury to one of my cats. In all its looking to cost roughly $1500 in damages not to mention the stress and worry it's put on both my girlfriend and myself. Do I continue to pursue things through my insurance agency or take things to court and pursue legal action?

Any recommendations would be well appreciated...thanks for your help!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">