• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is It A Criminal Offense?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

applyin2college

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am applying to college and they are asking if I have committed a criminal offense. Now I am no criminal, but I do have a possession of marijuana charge, and at the time the cops found the marijuana, I had a knife that was apparently over the legal limit, and even though it was never intended as a weapon, that is what it was considered to be. After that, but before my court date, I got a OUID, Operating Under the Influence of Drugs, which basically, I got pulled over, the cops knew about the impending charge, and therefore knew that I would still have marijuana in my bloodstream even if I hadn't smoked for over 2 weeks. That OUID got plead down to either a OWI or OUI, or a drunk driving. While on probation for the first offense, but before going to court for the second, I got a violation of probation.

So my questions are these; Can a college ask about misdemeanor crimes? I know a potential employer can only ask about a felony in Michigan, non of which I have. My second question; Which, if not all of them, of my offenses would be considered "criminal offenses" in Michigan? My third question; Can a college, even after I complete the punishments for the offenses, deny me for enrollment because of the offenses?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited:

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am applying to college and they are asking if I have committed a criminal offense. Now I am no criminal, but I do have a possession of marijuana charge, and at the time the cops found the marijuana, I had a knife that was apparently over the legal limit, and even though it was never intended as a weapon, that is what it was considered to be.
Which would make you a criminal.

After that, but before my court date, I got a OUID, Operating Under the Influence of Drugs, which basically, I got pulled over, the cops knew about the impending charge, and therefore knew that I would still have marijuana in my bloodstream even if I hadn't smoked for over 2 weeks. That OUID got plead down to either a OWI or OUI, or a drunk driving. While on probation for the first offense, but before going to court for the second, I got a violation of probation.
Which would also make you a criminal.

So my questions are these; Can a college ask about misdemeanor crimes? I know a potential employer can only ask about a felony in Michigan, non of which I have.
Both a college and future employers may ask about misdemeanors.

My second question; Which, if not all of them, of my offenses would be considered "criminal offenses" in Michigan?
A good rule of thumb is that any time you are before a judge defending yourself, convicted and given probation, you have committed a criminal offense.

My third question; Can a college, even after I complete the punishments for the offenses, deny me for enrollment because of the offenses?
That would be up to the college. However, it is not illegal for them to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">